Multibar spear

Hey guys, showing what I've been up to as of late. My hearth steel sword is currently "aging" in a snow/ice pile in my back yard but I'm not giving up on it but no currently working on it at the moment either.

Been wanting to forge a spear for a long time now, always wanted to do the wolf tooth one in the back of "sword of the viking age" by Ian Peirce and John Pages latest project pushed me over the edge, also been lacking pushing my patternwelding mainly due to not having steel but it feel good forging and asking hows this ever going to work!

So the plan was to leave a center core of W1 large enough to forge the socket out of, have twisted low layers, a bar of low layers, wolf tooth into 72 layers and finally 72 layer edge with enough meat so it kept the core into the back half of the spear.

spear 388_01.JPG

Forging the wolf teeth was interesting and although I'm not happy with the outcome the failure was with starting too small and forging too thin to get all the welds to set and not so much the process itself so I will be trying this again soon hopefully! Also felt that welding these in there own step would reduce chances to screw up as a whole billet would have too much to worry about all at once.  I used a hot cut(broken kitchen knife) under the power hammer to cut the grooves, then used some thin stock 15n20 and ground and cut to size into the grooves. The teeth show on the piece but a really small and don't stand out the way I had hoped...

I all the pieces of the core on the anvil getting ready for the weld and the billet as a whole

spear 392_01.JPG

spear 401_01.JPG

spear 404_01.JPG

After the Core was welded and fish mouthed the tip to get the pattern to come together I forged the edge material to fit around the core. The tip of the core is always  a problem area for getting the welds to set and found that having it at a sharper point rather then rounded help forge welding the material closed! This whole welding  process was actually relaxing for me, and of the whole process fixing the tooth material in place was the most stressful part!

spear 408_01.JPG

Edited by MLenaghan

Forging to shape went really well and after realizing all the welds took and it wasn't going to break apart it took the shape like it wanted to be this way! Always nice not having a blade fight you the whole way!

Pattern starting to show in the scale, forging the socket was pretty standard but got alittle worried at that point as it was past any point of return and wasn't sure how to saving it at that point but all worked out well and took my time.

NOW most of you are gonna hate me for this, but I haven't ground or Heat treated the blade yet so your going to have to wait to see the pattern... but I did take a selfie with the spear!

more spear 409_01_01.JPGmore spear 401_02.JPGmore spear 403_04.JPG

• Like 1

Looks good so far!  I have to ask, though, did the hearth steel sword end up in the snow/ice pile to age under its own power, or was it propelled forcefully from the shop door? ;)

thanks guys!

Wes there will be some wolfs tooth pattern in there, maybe 1/4 inch only... and stretched out more then was planned but on the plus side of being small is it wont stand out too badly :unsure:

Alan I wouldn't say forcefully, more like a defeated toss haha

Doing a rough grind tonight, more or less got all the scale off and a general outline and just had to check the pattern. Wolf tooth is kinda there... but it's a dull old wolf thats missing so teeth... but he'll still gum you to death! :ph34r:

It's a ever going quest and now I have a much better idea what to do and change on the next one, but cant wait to get some more time to work on this blade!

IMG_5428_01.JPG

• Like 1

That shows some impressive forging skills on top of some impressive welding.  That is a lot of little fiddly welds to get to take without much mass to help, but the final pic shows everything to be nice and tight.  Bravo! :)