Ages and Ages ago I promised KT I would send him a Pipe Hawk head along the lines of the one I did in the 2013 KITH (Pipe Hawk).

I started it a while back and have been doing dribs and drabs as time permits but as always I seem to over commit myself and life gets in the way.

I will not be able to work at the forge for some time due to my left hand surgery but luckily I am right handed so it has been a good opportunity to catch up on KT's Hawk.

I have been able to do short sessions of right handed dremeling and am slowly making progress.

Anyhow here are things so far.

I gave this some thought and decided on the Battle of Two Wolves theme.

So here is a kind of WIP for the engraving.

• Once Hawk is forged out I etch with vinegar to make a base for my drawing as the fresh engraved lines stand out more than if it was left shiny. I do not clean up too much and leave a roughish forge finish as I think it ads character.
  • So, I started with a sketch of the first wolf (the angry one which is also feeding off the pain in my hand I think)
  • I then cut out around the Wolfs head with diamond and carbide Dremel burs and define the edge and stipple in between. Note - I fully anneal the steel first otherwise engraving is impossible.
  • I then start engraving my drawn lines (Dremel maxed out with revs). The fresh scratches stand out as shiny silver (hence the vinegar etch). These lines will later be dark when etched again, kind of like a photography negative.
  • To keep a check on my progress I keep colouring over my picture with a sharpie pen and then sanding it back with 400 grit to show my engraving. I then make further engraved lines, dots,dashes etc and repeat until  I am happy.
  • Once I am happy with the result I wipe the sharpie off with acetone and etch in vinegar again (and this time also rubbed a potato over things - Thanks Wes)
  • I then check for final engraving, which in this case is not quite complete but almost there.

It is a time consuming process but yields cool results I think and worth the effort. That being said I do get frustrated with trying to accurately engrave with the Dremel as engraving steel is so so much harder than drawing or even scrimshaw which I can get much more true to life. 

Anyhow I have the other wolf to do and hopefully by then my hand may be good enough to drill out the pipe, grind and heat treat the edge and send this gift off to KT who has been more than patient.

That being said I also have one to do for Kip...Hang in there Kip, I will get to you mate.

Wolf.jpg

msg-33305-0-61088600-1480757146_thumb.jpg

msg-33305-0-26109300-1481504148_thumb.jpg

20170313_080505.jpg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 4

Fantastic Rob. Thanks for the run down on the method too. Nice bit of wisdom with the two wolves.

Thanks Josh,

Uploading more pics so hope it will make more sense.

This is the process of engraving then sharpie then engraving etc

20170316_081157.jpg

20170316_091724.jpg

20170316_081946.jpg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 2
On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Joshua States said:

Natural patina all the way for that one. I would either use it for dicing up a bunch of potatoes for dinner, or find the biggest potato you can and shove the blade all the way into it (use two potatoes if needed to cover the whole blade) and let it sit for a day. Either that or a mustard rub.

However, it will patina over time naturally. So you could just sit back and let it do its thing.

Nice knife Rob. Looks vicious.

Sorry Josh,

it was you re the potato in "Old Painless"..haha..in any case thanks Wes too :D

So here it is after Sharpie washed off and after re etch in vinegar and potato..need to get some ferric to try, might work well too.

2017-03-16 15.20.17.jpg

2017-03-16 11.53.30.jpg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 4

Rob I am so excited I don't know what to say. A ++++++++++ Since I am Indian do you know the Indian definition of a person who only eats vegetables ? Its a hunter that cant hit anything .   Terry KT:D

• Like 1

Rob, that is awesome work! Absolutely top shelf. I am sure the Kid will be well pleased with that one when you get it finished!!

KT, you are getting a winner in that one!!

Nice! Awesome job on that engraving!

Hi Rob, hope the surgery is successful and the rehab not too bad. 

As for the hawk's. If you can do this good of a job one handed, I'd really like to see what you can do with two. Looks sweet mate. Crack on. 

• Like 1

your awesome Rob! Love the two wolves thing, used as sermon illustration many times. Can't wait to see how this winds up !

• Like 1
On 3/15/2017 at 10:13 PM, Rob Toneguzzo said:

That being said I do get frustrated with trying to accurately engrave with the Dremel as engraving steel is so so much harder than drawing or even scrimshaw which I can get much more true to life. 

If your scrim looks "more true to life" than that, you must be one heck of a shander! I can't even draw that well.

Looks great Rob.

Thanks again for the feedback fellas.

Here is the other wolf pretty much done. Still a bit of tweeking both sides.

Hand is still sore and is in a splint so it is of no use which gets very frustrating.

One thing, I have been researching gravers and hammer and am excited to make myself a set once im back in action and give that a go.

2017-03-22 10.05.55.jpg

2017-03-22 10.06.33.jpg

2017-03-22 10.07.17.jpg

2017-03-22 10.08.05.jpg

2017-03-22 10.08.37.jpg

2017-03-22 10.13.59.jpg

2017-03-22 10.09.28.jpg

• Like 4

Awesome and inspirational. I really appreciate you showing us this WIP. Can't wait to see the whole hawk complete. Good luck with the hand.

Man that just shows that talent always trumps tools. Don't let my wife see this or my excuses for why I need "this or that" are all dead.

• Like 1

I know this should never be said when dealing with such 'manly' things but that is a Pretty looking hawk, mainly due to the pretty wolf. 

Frustrating on the hand, i could imagine, but take it easy and dont rush the healing or you will hurt it and take twice as long to heal... Been there, done that, have the T-Shirt. 

• 6 months later...

Well I finaly got arround to finishing this for Terry and sent it off today.

Got some scale build up during heat treat which when cleaned up a bit but I think it added some aged rustic appearance.

Anyhow its on its way.

Looking forward to seeing it finished off.

Since my hand injury I have been away from the forge doing some painting and wildlife photography and will post up some pics in photography soon.

However..the forge has called me back and while i am a bit slower and dont grip the tongs as well i made myself a hunting hawk which i will also post soon.

Good to be back

Rob

2017-10-03 12.02.30.jpg

2017-10-03 12.01.43.jpg

2017-10-03 12.03.06.jpg

2017-10-03 12.03.43.jpg

• Like 2