How this sounds to you? Phlogiston theory

I've been researching some issies with the Law of Conservation of Mass, which led me to on old, obsolate already to science theory.

Phlogiston theory

To Stahl, metals were compounds containing phlogiston in combination with metallic oxides (calces); on ignition the phlogiston was freed from the metal leaving the oxide behind. When the oxide was heated with a substance rich in phlogiston, such as charcoal, the calx again took up phlogiston and regenerated the metal. Phlogiston was a definite substance, the same in all its combinations.

It definitely questions my imagination in a wild way, thus I would like to ask you: How you feel about the quoted part, and of the whole theory at all? It is very interesting for me, and as it is all about combustion and metals (bladesmith's speciality) I think this is the best board to seek other folk's opinion.

Cheers!

That was discredited long ago.  It was an attempt to explain reduction of oxides, and worked as an explanation until oxygen was isolated in the late 1700s.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That was discredited long ago.  It was an attempt to explain reduction of oxides, and worked as an explanation until oxygen was isolated in the late 1700s.

That shouldn't stop one from marketing a "High Phlogiston" blade however.......:blink:

(P.T. Barnum would be proud)

Edited by Joshua States
On 3/18/2017 at 8:41 PM, Joshua States said:

That shouldn't stop one from marketing a "High Phlogiston" blade however.......:blink:

(P.T. Barnum would be proud)

I wouldn't be surprised if a certain large knife manufacturer with the initials C.S. hasn't already filed for a trade mark on it ;)

• Like 1

When I first read this it sounded to me like the OP knew it was bogus, but a fun flight of fancy anyway.  Much like many of the fantasy things that we all like.  I cringe at the thought of anyone believing it is accurate, but for some make-believe fun a-la LOTR or D&D?  Sure, why not?  

You felt it right Jerrod, however old theories always fascinate me. People societies have so much different cognition throughout the ages. I think it's worthy to explore even the worst ones, just to hone our imagination. This said I still wait to see how people think about it, about it's abstract and notorious expression. Intuition is the key point. Times ago people didn't had an exact science to measure everything, and we made it by feeling. Even the knives, ha!

You are correct, for what passed for science at the time it was intuitive and seemed to be on the right track.  He was just coming at it from the wrong direction because he didn't understand the role of (as yet undiscovered!) oxygen in the process. A commendable effort in the lack of evidence, though.  Look into caloric theory next, that's even more interesting...

• Like 1