This Bowie has a 300  layer Damascus blade of 1080 & 15N20.  The look of a low layer on the spine and a high layer on the cutting edge is solely from the way that I beveled it as it's all the same billet.  The handle is  African Blackwood with a raised  checkered area..  The butt cap is a drop off from another Damascus billet turned  on edge.  The remainder of the fittings are 416.

IMG_3111_opt%2050kb_zpsjvo6hxpc.jpg

IMG_3100_opt%2050kb_zpswfrqneow.jpg

IMG_3106_opt%2050kb_zpso1xfk4wq.jpg

IMG_3117_opt%2050kb_zpsq5fvx0qh.jpg

This is  the  first time that I've done a  partial checkering this  way.  Let me know  what you think.

Thanks,

Gary

• Like 2

Gary I love bowies more than any other blade and always look forward to seeing your posts. Beautiful blade, especially the guard and buttcap. Handle checkering is really nice touch.

• Like 1

That's a nice looking knife Gary. I particularly like the handle. The checking is a nice touch.

• Like 1

Well, you inspired me to break out the checkering tools I've had for a few years. On blackwood scrap, no less.  It's a bit harder than it looks!:lol:  I can see it opening a new world of possibilities, though, so thanks!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Well, you inspired me to break out the checkering tools I've had for a few years. On blackwood scrap, no less.  It's a bit harder than it looks!:lol:  I can see it opening a new world of possibilities, though, so thanks!

I look  forward to  seeing what you do  with them.

Gary

3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

You know, I think it would look pretty snazzy running down the sides of one of those ax or hawk handles

I missed this one. That is a really nice knife.  I love the details you have put in it.