First attempt: AEB-L heat treatment problem

Hello,

I had my first attempt at AEB-L heat treatment two days ago. I used this recipe:
https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/Pictures/Info/Steel/AEBL-Typical.gif

Method 1 without crio, tempering in 350F. Blades were wrapped in foil. Oil quenched with foil.

After tempering the smaller one is very springy, the other one can be easily bent by hand.
Both were together in the same oven. I've tested them with files, and both seems to be over 55HRC.
I'll try to test them on the professional meter at my friend's workshop.

Anyway, lack of springiness is a bad sign ;)

Any ideas? What went wrong? Why one is springy and the other is not?

Is it possible to repeat the HT, or the knife is lost?

It was my first stainless steel HT, so I lack experience ;)

20170326_091248 - Kopia.jpg

Edited by Michal Plezia

You can bend it by hand and it stays bent? It sounds like it's not been hardened properly. I have been meaning to HT some AEBL for a while, but haven't got to it yet. 

I never oil quench with the blade in the foil. I don't feel like the oil can draw heat off the blade fast enough THROUGH the foil. 1950F is pretty hot, it might not have cooled quickly enough.

looks like maybe the larger one wasn't completely sealed - a thick layer of decarb can have this effect on a thin blade, just like it was laminated with unhardenable steel/iron...

• Like 1

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

i would vote for decarb as well. grind it a bit and re check.

• Like 1

Decarb...it makes sense. The surface of the larger one is definitely different. Maybe the best way will be to take some material off the handle and test it for hardness and if it springs before I grind the thin blade or try to reheat it.

Edited by Michal Plezia