Hello, my name is Roguen O'Brien and I'm 15 turning sixteen in July. I've been really interested in Blacksmithing since I stumbled upon the YouTube channel "Man at Arms reforged" and soon after the show "Forged in Fire". I've been saving up money from a local job and am putting it towards a cast iron anvil from the harbor freight store and a "satans toilet" forge design. *I want tips from experienced blacksmiths on what tools, techniques, etiquette, supplies, etc... to get me started. I know the basic differences between steels specifically the 1000 range of steels. 

Edited by Roguen O'Brien

It's made of cast iron. Great for cooking, no bueno for forging. I have the smaller one, and it sucks. No rebound, already dented after what little I did on it, and it could chip and crack all over if you wail on it. The post Geoff mentioned on anvils has lots of great info. And even if you can't but a real one, there are a bunch of knowledgeable people here who can help you find something appropriate to repurpose.

It would help if you told us where you are.  Many of us have extra anvils, or know of the secret hiding places of anvils.  Read the post, I spent several hours writing it, and it will answer many of your questions, including what is out there that will really work in terms anvils and anvil like objects.

Geoff

I live in the king wood area just outside of Houston Texas. I don't know if you wanted that information or if you wanted me to make a discussion about it, sorry and thank you

Welcome, Rogeun! I'm sort of close... hopping between College Station and Bastrop. Best word of advice is to use what you have available, and if you get serious, start saving up. You can get by with minimal equipment easily... a crappy anvil is still an anvil. Just don't over pay for it. 

All of what you ask is readily available here on the forum, it just requires some searching and reading. Best of luck. 

If I ask a question, it's because I think it might be helpful.  I don't have any hidden agendas.  There are people from all over, here on the forum.  When you're getting started, a couple of hours with an established smith can answer all kinds of questions you never even thought about asking.  I'm sure there are local blacksmiths in your area, and now that we know where you are, someone will steer you in the right direction.  You can put your location in your profile to make it easy.

Geoff

speaking of anvils I have a line on a 175lb furriers lightly used. $300. seems fair enough although I wont be making horse shoes.

whats the difference between a furriers anvil and a common black smiths?

Furriers are the guys who make mink coats, farriers are the guys who shoe horses and care for their feet.  Although given local differences in how vowel sounds are expressed,  you might have heard the first.  In any case, a farriers anvil often has an exaggerated horn with a turning clip.  Often the waist is small, since they don't need to move big cross sections of steel.  A basic london pattern anvil has a smaller horn, bigger main table and a thick waist.  There are tons of variants though.  Farriers anvils tend to be 100 lbs and less, since they need to go to the horses.

Farriers anvil

24-027.jpg

Blacksmiths anvil

workhorse.jpg

Geoff