Components for my Next Project

Gary Mulkey

This  one  is  going  to be a traditional  Arkansas Toothpick.  [I know there is a lot of debate  as to what is a  "toothpick" but to me they were ALWAYS double  edged like a dagger.]

The blade is a  mosaic.  The handle will be a straight fluted blackwood with 416 fittings.  (I  included a close-up  of the octagonal pommel as  it didn't  show very well in  the  overall photo.)  The tang will get  some allthread welded to the back of it for a  pommel nut.

IMG_3130_opt%2050kb_zpslurei6vm.jpg

IMG_3089_opt%2050kb_zpsyw4ezcmf.jpg

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

I know.  There's just about as much debate on what constitutes an Arkansas toothpick as there is about what constitutes a bowie.  Be interested in seeing the finished product though.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

How do you estimate the stock you need for the guard, between the turned ends?  That is going to be cool.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

1 hour ago, Geoff Keyes said:

How do you estimate the stock you need for the guard, between the turned ends?  That is going to be cool.

Geoff

That's pretty subjective but I usually will allow whatever looks balanced with  the width of the  ricasso on the blade.  Usually it  doesn't  gain a lot in length as you forge.  Most of the movement is sideways.  Some will  depend  on whether or not I want to make it straight or an "S".  It makes it  easier if  you leave at least  2" between the  ball tips.  This way I can forge on my Uncle Al press which has dies 2" wide.  Also  this  allows  me  to  grind on my KMG (2" x72") without  touching  the ball  tips.

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

I got  the blackwood flutes roughed in today and the front washer/spacer roughed out.  I gave this handle 16 straight flutes as I wanted to have more than the facets of the octagonal pommel.  I've got another half-day of hand sanding to  round  over  the top of the flutes but at least I have them roughed in. 

I thought about  doing some filework  on the  front  spacer but changed my  mind thinking that the hilt was probably "busy"  enough already.

The guard is in the  annealing oven.  Usually 416 doesn't harden that much during forging but this piece did.  I couldn't slot it  as is so  that will  have to come tomorrow.

IMG_3139_opt%2050kb_zps3ljo27ih.jpg

I think  that I've got  a little too much length in the  hilt as  is.  (I'll  probably shorten the blackwood tomorrow.)  This may require me to do  some more carving  on the  flutes but we'll  see.  Maybe I'll  get lucky and what I  have will work.

Here's what the blade looked like after a rough grind & before  H/T:  ("W" mosaic with accordion  cut)

IMG_2949_opt_50%20kb_zpsrodbacyz.jpg

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

I am eagerly awaiting the final product on this one. Being so new to smithing means i tend to get really excited about ... well, everything i guess. :P

• Like 1

Here's the first  dry fit-up.  There's still a couple of days of  sanding,  polishing, & etching to do.  I need  to even up the flutes  in  the  blackwood as well.  I'll probably  use a  combination of a scraper and then sandpaper.  (I tried using a chisel  earlier and found  that the  blackwood  wanted  to splinter a little due  to  uneven grain but a scraper provided an even cut with a uniform curl coming off.)

IMG_3159_opt%2050kb_zpsjaegqjg7.jpg

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 2

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

that is one fine dagger. all of the components are just right. The time you spend getting the handle dialed in will be worth it.

great work

kd

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

I find myself leaning closer to the screen as if it will make the picture any bigger, clearer or in fact multiply into many others. LOL. 

Cant wait to see me.