• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  

15 posts in this topic

Today I got some dubbin for my boots. I have a cheapie leather apron as a starter and thought to myself: I wonder if this will improve the stiffness of the leather. Anyhoo, I have done about a 8" x 8" corner when I thought to myself... is this flammable? Anyone with some input, please?

Also, I have been meaning to ask: I use welders gloves on my tong-hand but I see on some videos people wearing gloves that look a lot more comfortable and better fitting than that. What do people recommend?

Dubbin itself will burn, sort of, but once it's in the leather it just smells interesting when it gets a burnt spot.

I use a lightweight long-cuffed TIG welding glove on my tong hand, very thin leather and comfy.  I will grudgingly wear one on my hammer hand when doing heavy welding, since molten flux and hot scale seems to always find its way between the handle and the hand at critical moments.

Have some long welding cloves i use on my tong hand, the hammer hand i use a thin cotton glove that sits very comfy and is cheap to replace. I also use the cotton ones for grinding. 

I find a glove on my hammer hand makes it harder to control the hammer.  I also wouldn't recommend grinding with a glove on.  One, it makes it harder to feel if you are getting the steel too hot, which is important if you are grinding heat treated blades.  Secondly, gloves could catch between the knife rest and the belt and jam the belt or, worse yet, get caught between the belt and the drive wheel and pull your hand in.

Doug

Thanks Everyone

The apron is a lot better after the dubbin.

Doug, I've seen pics of people grinding whilst holding the knife in their left (gloved) hand and using the right bare to apply pressure and guide (and presumably check heat). Do you use something to help you hold? I don't have a grinder yet but it is the n the list of one-day.

Usually I'm holding with both hands bare but sometimes I do use a rare earth magnet to hold too.

Doug

IMG_0289.JPG

I have been working on my first knife. The blade is an old file (forged to shape) and the handle is blackthorn. I also have an antler insert. I am using a Rexon SG260A grinder (original stone and belt) to grind to shape. I've rubbed the blade with lemon juice and washed it off to encourage a patina. I am dunking in water during the grind to cool. My hands are now staining black. It doesn't wash off but seems to decrease overnight. It might be reduction of the skin but I'm not sure. Is this normal? Thanks.

There is some special soap you could buy in a good hardware store. Other ask the misses for a hand scrub:lol:

My life :blink:. Missus won't let me come near her with those hands ;)  

Edited by Charles du Preez

Usually that goes away after 2 days. Just one of those things that will always happen. All fun and games, with the cuts, scars, dirt. :D

Works like a charm, got it at either Home Depot or Wal-Mart in the automotive department for 5-10 us$

149238152619689556865.jpg

Thanks Cory. I'll have to see if I can find it here. Swarfega is usually great but doesn't seem to do much with this.

On 15-4-2017 at 11:44 PM, Charles du Preez said:

My life :blink:. Missus won't let me come near her with those hands ;)  

Then soap for metal/car industry, it has some fine granules in it :) every country has it brands.

So this happened again. I figured that this staining comes from rasping the bark off a blackwood (sloe tree) branch as I am making another handle and haven't been working on steel. It seems to be some sort of oxidation/reduction of the skin. A work colleague gave me a lemon and told me to scrub it with the fleshy part of half a lemon. 2 minutes later it was all clean and normal. Thought I'd share the tip here.

A friend of mine has been goldsmithing for around 40 years. His hands look like an Egyptian mummy's in general colour and texture. So don't worry about it.