Applying Kast-o-Lite to ceramic wool ?

Afternoon everyone, I am starting the assembly of my forge this weekend once my burners show up, I was wondering what the simplest way to apply the Kast- o lite to the inside of the ceramic wool? I would prefer to apply it directly to the wool as opposed to casting a cylinder separately and putting it inside of the wool... Can I just dampen the wool and use my hands (wearing gloves obviously) to apply a few thin layers, and work it up to 3/8-1/2" or so?

Moisten the ceramic fiber lining slightly and apply the refractory to the bottom half of the forge.  If I remember correctly I used my hand while wearing rubber gloves.   Let that part set up for a bit until it's starting to get a little hard and rotate the forge to do a side and half of the top.  Let t hat set up slightly and do the remainder.  Then let the whole thing set for a couple of days and then slowly heat it up with several short firings of the burner.

Doug

Check out the attachment "Build a Gas Forge" on the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.  This will tell you how I like to build a good, strong efficient forge.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

A cheapo rubber spatula from the grocery store makes a good trowel for smoothing out the surface.