Brian Myers

Future lung cancer spokesman!

This is a video by Grant Thompson. He makes great science videos on YouTube. But for this one, I could only watch in mild horror and keep thinking "you idiot". I could only imagine the cloud of kaowool dust that flew out of this foundry when he lit it. 

He did none of the things he said people should do for their safety!

Nope, and considering you see this man working with home-made solid rocket fuel, match book fuse igniters and so forth, that gives me a bit of chill as to what kids watching this show will do!

And here is the follow-up. Standing over that foundry with CLOUDS of zinc fumes billowing around. 

Handling a relatively large, very hot crucible with kitchen tongs!  Can we say don't try this at home boys and girls.

Doug

Did you see the amount of zinc fumes and oxide?!  As I recall, that is the stuff that took Paw-Paw Wilson from us. He was exposed to a cloud of this stuff in his shop and later developed bronchopneumonia which he died from. 

I understand that Mr. Wilson had an underlying respiratory condition but the zinc fumes still killed him.

Doug

Yes, he had COPD (emphysema) pretty bad.  And he knew better.  After his funeral I saw his shop, still not cleaned up.  Heavy encrustations of zinc oxide all over the forge and surrounding surfaces up to a foot away.  He'd been burning off hot-dip galvanizing from plumbing parts in an open space (high roof but no walls).  Six 2" pipe elbows was not worth it.

He did know better, even sent his assistants out of the shop the moment he saw fumes. Nobody is REALLY sure why he stayed to take the parts out. But in one of this last posts on Anvilfire after the incident, he asked someone to confirm the symptoms of metal fume fever, he knew what was happening to him I'm sure. If he had soaked the parts in vinegar for awhile, the zinc could have been removed, and that loveable old coot might still be with us

I remember following each of his posts on the forum until the last one came through.

Talking to him up at the Museum of Appalachia back in the 90's was one of the catalysts that finally convinced me to get into smithing.

These videos are very dangerous. It looks professional, so to an uneducated person it looks like he knows his stuff. So people will start copying it, trusting what he does, and get themselves killed/maimed or find out years later in a hospital they got cancer. And if you say something about it, you will be seen as the boring killjoy being ridiculously over protective or something.

Phrasing as a question is often helpful, e.g. "I've heard not coating the fibre before heating is as bad as asbestosis. Have you heard of this?" Just my 2 pennies (I'm in the uk) ;)

hes afraid people will think he's a wuss if he protects he's lungs... thats the kind of guy he looks like.

such an idiot. <_<

Hi is coating the wool with refractory cement safe or do you still need to wear a mask?

You mean while applying the cement, or afterwards?  If the wool has not been fired it's no worse for you than fiberglass, and actually less dusty.  Most people coat it with something (rigidizer, refractory, IR reflectant) before firing, since after it's fired it is very crumbly.  That's when it's dangerous.  Once you've sealed it you're fine until it's time to reline the forge.  Definitely wear a mask when pulling out the old lining.

Sorry I mean after the wool has been coated and the forge is in use.I have coated mine with refractory as I'd read the nasty affects of not taking the right precautions  Thank you for the info :)

Anyone else hear the flame burning up inside the burner tube on his burners?:unsure:

By the end of the video, listening to that stupid repeating ditty in the background, I decided that I didn't care for his safety at all. LOL. DIE DIE DIE!

That being said, I've been using my kaowool lined forges, ALWAYS covered in Satanite for 20 years now and was recently x-rayed for an unrelated injury... and they said the lungs looked great.

See my shop ventilation thread for ventilation / dust collection ideas on the relatively cheap.

He keeps popping up on the Backyard Metalcasting FB group. Fortunately that group is run by some professional casters, who will always address the safety issues. However, he keeps inspiring people to put their lives at risk. Naturally there are people who will then go against it and consider it all a bunch of whining, because they have done it, nothing has gone wrong and they are still alive. I just consider it spending your changes, until all of your chances have been spend. And I prefer to not to spend them too fast, while still being able to do exactly the same thing, just using slightly more thought out equipment.

He didn't make long enough to find out the long term effects of his experiments.  I cringed at many of the unsafe practices in his videos and they seem to continue even after his passing.

I watched his videos since the channel started, after I joined the forum and learned about zinc and galvanization and how unsafe his projects were, I stopped watching them.. zinc fumes, burners and foundry’s made of galvanized buckets and pipes. But his backyard foundry made of sand and plaster is one of the things that got me into this trade.