Sign in to follow this  
JPH

Quick and Dirty Dirk

Ok Dirty Dirk sounds like an old west outlaw but here's one I whipped out yesterday for RPFS.. 1095/L-6 and a smattering of meteoric iron. Some Sambar stag I have had laid down some 20 years ago when you could still get it and it wasn't priced sky high. Bronze fittings. This one will be going down to RPFS next weekend to my E-vile Minions...

Hope the pics turn out..

JPH

DSC03699A.jpg

DSC03700A.jpg

• Like 2

When you say quick and dirty exactly how quick does that entail?? Fantastic work

Tell me this didn't only take 1 day to make, please tell me that... :/

Guys, this is JPH.  He probably made it in 1/2 a day. He's a machine, and a bit of a legend in this field. 

Great work, Colonel! 

Dave

4 minutes ago, Dave Stephens said:

He probably made it in 1/2 a day. He's a machine, and a bit of a legend in this field. 

I have no words for this comment. Hmmm :blink:

5 minutes ago, Chris C-S said:

I have no words for this comment. Hmmm :blink:

That is demonstrably untrue. You had seven words, one onomoapia, and one emoticon in response to my comment.

Just saying . . . (with words). (;

Dave

• Like 2

Yup. My bad. 

Oh, hey, no need for the "@" thing here. That's a Twitter thing.

Welcome.

• Like 1

Hello:

Took about 10 hours work...including an hour down time while the blade etched..so 9 hours of actual work..two hours to forge out the blade, rough grind/HT and final grind...the hilt..well..with stag it's quick...not much time there...maybe 30 minutes to fit and shape once the fittings were done...

The steel took me about 4 hours to make the bar that I got two of these out of...when you start with sheet it's a quick weld...1 cut and reweld and you are basically ready to pattern..I started with 55 pieces...drew out and cut into 5ths...rewelded , drew out and done... 

Turned out Ok if ya ask me...now I gotta do the leather work..

JPH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPH said:

Took about 10 hours work...including an hour down time while the blade etched..so 9 hours of actual work

There is something disturbingly sickeningly awesome about that. Man - I wish there was a little brain exploding emoticon... I would be using it. Well done. 

5 hours ago, Chris C-S said:

There is something disturbingly sickeningly awesome about that. Man - I wish there was a little brain exploding emoticon... I would be using it. Well done. 

He loves to do this to us. Just part of the fun he has. He earned the right, by making 50 for every 1 that I have made.

Glad you get Dave's sense of humor. He is a great guy, and probably you would want him on your side in a debate or a fight.

As to the dirk, that is nice work. JPH has pattern welding down to a fine art/craft. He keeps tempting us with promises of another book (most of us got into this somewhat because of his books, but those happened a while ago. We keep hoping for another).

JPH - that is lovely, in a barbaric sort of way. The feature on the guard is a great touch, I don't remember seeing you use that shape before (which may just mean that I don't remember it :) ). The fuller and complex grinds really elevate this one.

I could barely make a little full tang hunting knife in the amount of time it took you to make that. I guess I could if I did a forge or machine finish, but I have obsessions, and I can't do those.

Anyway, always happy to see your work. You have been a guiding light so to speak for a lot of us, for an ever-increasing amount of time. Keep at it!

• Like 1

I hope i can make something that cool someday... lol, this is incredible work 

15 hours ago, Kevin (The Professor) said:

Glad you get Dave's sense of humor. He is a great guy, and probably you would want him on your side in a debate or a fight.

Humor is my savior. My is sometimes dark, twisted, and/or rather cynical, So yeah i got it, and appreciated it. Well done Dave. 

• Like 1

looking nice Uncle Jimmy!!!!!

On 4/6/2017 at 7:40 AM, rickmanb said:

I hope i can make something that cool someday... lol, this is incredible work 

My line!!!!!!!