First knife

Charles dP

Hi there. I have finally dipped a toe into making a blade. It's a whole new world :).

I started with an old half round file, forged, shaped and filed. The knife is meant for use in the kitchen  (oft seen advice is to use your first knife) but I still wanted a bit more of an old look. The design kind of reminded me of my dad's old butcher knives. 

The blade length is 20cm/8", AOL currently is 28cm/11". It will be a blind hidden tang handle.

This morning I hardened and did my first temper at 200C/400F. It is just about to go in for a second temper at 180/350. There is a slight bend at the tang but hardly noticeable . I didn't clean the canola from the blade, hence the colour. The handle is 13cm/5-1/8" from a piece of blackthorn branch that had been waiting its turn in the fire for a couple of years. The handle needs a lot of work still, shaping and sizing as well as drilling. I am thinking of putting a brass end cap on and also thinking about a small section of antler at the blade end, possibly with brass fitted-guard. Is antler suitable in a kitchen knife w.r.t. hygiene, etc?

All advice and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos qui libertate donati nescimus quid constat

Is the second pic the same blade??

The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art.

They forge their creativity,closer to the heart.

Yes. The first photo is before HT. the second is after tempering (I didn't clean the oil off the blade). I found a large crack when grinding the handle so am working on a new one now. It is a bit overlong and thick still. Here is where I'm up to. The 3mm brass sheet is hard to grind on the wheel.

IMG_0291.JPG

Edited by Charles du Preez
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit busy of late but finally managed to finish my first knife today. All I have left to do is the final sharpening for which I have a Lansky kit somewhere in the loft.

AOL is 32cm/12.5". Blade is 19cm/7.5". Blade width is 2.5cm/1" and thickness is 2mm/ 1/16". There is a small false edge on the clip but it's not showing well on the photos.

I couldn't get a clean bevel so I sanded everything but the 'bevel' and left that as bench ground (stone wheel). I was going to engrave a pattern into the antler but I am worried I might go through into the grey core. Any comments suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

Thanks guys. Up at the blade end Karim? The tang is very low but I'll bear that in mind for my next one. Trying to decide what that will be.

Edited by Charles du Preez