A Viking style Art Knife

Hello Guys,

I am a 19 year old knifemaker from Germany, and this is my first post in this forum.

I just wanted to show you my recent work because i am very proud of what I have managed to craft with my hands over roughly a month... there have been many ups and downs in making this piece, because many things i did were new to me, the segmented structure of the Handle as well as the knotwork in both wood and leather.

This is the 7th knife i have made so far, and i would really love to read your feedback and critique :)

Jonas

PS: In case you are wondering what the Runes mean, one inscription says "fire", the other says "ancient flame"

IMG_20170326_171652.jpg

IMG_20170326_171755.jpg

IMG_20170327_135231.jpg

IMG_20170327_135716.jpg

IMG_20170327_135955.jpg

IMG_20170327_140725.jpg

IMG_20170331_180917.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice Jonas. I like it a lot. I assume the other blade in your last photo is the 6th?

Well, that is a great way to introduce yourself :)

You are demonstrating what I feel is an uncommon level of fit and finish ability at your age.  I was 20 years older than you before I managed to develop enough patience to finish a project to that level of detail.

Thank you Brian, and... thank you brian ;)

Your words are really flattering me, but I do not think that age is that important regarding the "level" of fit and finish, or craftsmanship in general. In my opinion it mostly comes down to -as you mentioned- patience, and a certain perfectionist trait in a person...

Im sorry for my english by the way, should you find any grammar or spelling mistakes feel free to keep them :)

• 5 weeks later...

Heyho, quick addition to this thread: I uploaded a making of to my youtube channel.

I did not film any of the steps tho, I only took a few wip pics on the go :D

I hope you like it

Edited by Jonas Liebel
  • Like 1

Very nice, top shelf material!!