• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Mark_Bartlett

Dogbone Dagger Work In Progress

91 posts in this topic

Now with the pins not being structural, because I like to be able to remove pieces right till the last time it goes together, I opted to go with something that I've seen from John White, and more recently Veronique Laurent and Jean-Louis Regal. Pin the ends... Some people don't agree with this and that's fine. I wasn't fond of the idea myself either. But with the tight tolerance of the guide pins (going back to the start where I brought up the necessity for good bits and accurate pin stock) the scales have to be pried off the frame as it is. So I no longer see as much of an issue with this. I drilled 3 of the 5 spacers so that the dowels would butt against the #2 spacer and leave plenty sticking into the scales. Then put the spacers back on the handle and drilled the holes into the ivory. I used the Grobet handpiece with a 1/16" bit because The hand piece can run considerably slower than my drill press with the foot control that allows me to stop it without fumbling for a switch if something goes wrong. Then something similar for the end cap under the finial except for that part I made a sacrificial plate that I used to transfer the holes perfectly to both the butt and the cap.

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

And lastly, heres the final image for a while. I've got a half ton of cleanup and some other stuff to work through before this is finished. And while it's whole, it's assembled, and it's sharp, it's far from done.

IMG_1305.jpg

3 people like this

Since the etching process is straight out of Nick Wheelers world famous WIP, I'll not bother with pics of the blade going in and out. The bluing process is another step that I'll do a separate post on because quite frankly while the info is available, it can be hard to find without ending up on an FBI watch list. So for now, I'll leave you with the all-but-finished pic of my first dogbone dagger and we'll wrap this up. Thanks for all the kind words through this project. The encouragement means a lot.

IMG_1391.JPG

Good god man, I am super impressed.  I know you were talking about being novice knifemaker, but the quality of your work says exactly the opposite.  There are many many people that have been making knife a long time that can't manage this.  Exquisite work.  And I very much looking forward to your bluing WIP.  I love bluing.

I don't know how I managed to miss this thread until now, but I went back and read the whole thing. Your attention to detail and standard of quality is inspiring. You may consider yourself a beginner, but the quality of your work says otherwise. Outstanding WIP, thank you for taking the time to photograph and share your process with us.

thanks for sharing. This is an awesome build (3 years or 10 years or whatever).

Files... files are, "where it's at." I love them, and I am always wishing that I could get by with forging, soldering/brazing, and filing. 

You and I are alike in the love of files, and in the fact that pictures help to reveal things that would otherwise be missed. I will always look at pics before I consider a piece finished. The one time I did not, I had the pommel of a sword misaligned. Damn it. So, pics before shipping. The people here are great, and so is your work!

Mark this dagger is beautiful. Your attention to detail is inspiring, as a novice it will keep me from saying a knife is okay, I'll do better next time and fix the issues. Thanks for the wonderful WIP.

1 person likes this

I've enjoyed this build, and thank you for sharing it!

Fabulous work :)

Nice job, the blued fittings and etched blade at the end just make it POP!  And the blade is elegant and stabby... not clunky.

1 person likes this

Thank you everyone. This was a definite learning experience. 

On 6/10/2017 at 3:15 AM, Salem Straub said:

Nice job, the blued fittings and etched blade at the end just make it POP!  And the blade is elegant and stabby... not clunky.

Salem, Thank you. That stabby part was something that I've always liked. Like Cashen, not so fond of the blades that stay full width till they're 2" from the tip. Daggers need to push through stuff. 

Fantastic! Thanks so much for the detailed WIP. This is what this forum is all about!

Cheers!

Dave

1 person likes this

Just trying to catch up on all these threads I've been following. Incredible work Mark, Well done in every way imaginable.

This is quite frankly a superb piece of work and a thread that I am for one very grateful has been pinned, what a mine of information.

Thank you very much.

Steve.