• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Gary Mulkey

My Next Historical Project

13 posts in this topic

I'm scheduled to do the ICCE Show in K.C. this year.  Since Bill Moran introduced Damascus steel at the show (then The Guild Show) back in 1973, I decided that for my next project I  would  recreate a Moran knife for the show using the same technique & materials that Bill Moran used 44 years ago.  After some research I'm now confident that I know the technique & materials that he used to make his first Damascus steel back then and have authentic handle materials on order.

This  is  the knife that I decided to build:

moran%20knife_opt%20forum_zps1nacsrhx.jp

That looks like a good one to reproduce.

Doug

1 person likes this

That'll be nice!  Did he use 0-1 and A203E?  I know that was one early recipe.

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

That'll be nice!  Did he use 0-1 and A203E?  I know that was one early recipe.

So far I've heard two different recipes:  1)W2 & wrought iron    2) O1 and A36.

I  got  in a good day of forging today while working on the Moran knife.  Unfortunately my original Damascus billet developed a flaw.  Though removable, it would  have severely changed the pattern to  do  so.  This being the case, I started on a new billet.  I was a little dubious about  the  eventual carbon content of  the  first billet which had wrought iron layers so for this  one I chose to  use W2 & A36 (both steels that Moran was known to use in his Damascus).  After a full  day of forging I now have a 536 layer billet which is what Moran thought to  be the ideal layer count.  If I have calculated correctly, the billet will have no less than .75% carbon after migration which will work fine for me.

moran%20wip_zps5jzj1bjw.jpg

IMG_3398_zpsatekgjba.jpg

Hopefully I'll get this one forged into a blade tomorrow.

Ooh, love the swirls. Kind of reminds me of the surface of Jupiter.

It may be blasphemy, but I like your steel better than the original :)

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Well done  !.....................as usual fer you............;)

It's a dreary, rainy day here today so I thought that I would just do some inside handle work.  I'm waiting on the nickel silver for the fittings but got in some curly maple for the handle and thought why not get the inlay work done.  The shield that you see laying on the handle is merely a steel template.  The finish inlay material will be fine silver.  (The blade was just  H/T'ed & tempered.)

I chose to  do  the inlay work for this one by hand.  You can see one of my inlay chisels laying on top of the blade in the photo.  It will be easier to chisel the inlay with the handle block being flat on two sides and then rounded.  Should I have to deepen the inlay later that it won't be difficult.  Once I get the handle completed, I plan on darkening the curly maple with some Aqua Fortis Reagent just to be traditional.

IMG_3465_opt_zpsthyugvhu.jpg

Same here in Nixa, tomatoes are loving it though.  Gary, does Menards down there in Branson have a better selection of steel than places up here by Springfield? I cant find a local supplier of high carbon.

33 minutes ago, S. Cruse said:

Same here in Nixa, tomatoes are loving it though.  Gary, does Menards down there in Branson have a better selection of steel than places up here by Springfield? I cant find a local supplier of high carbon.

There are no suppliers of blade steel locally that I know of.  I get mine from Kelly Cupples.  http://www.hightemptools.com/steel.html

1 person likes this

nice looking blade taking shape.