• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Chris C-S

Angle Grinder vs Leg - who wins? Graphic!

19 posts in this topic

Sitting in my hospital bed awaiting surgery and thought I would kill some time. So, hot tip. Don't turn your AG and then plug it in.

So I was cutting the final pieces for my 72" grinder, for the platen, and it was getting on. So I went to the workshop and picked up the AG. Turned it on and nothing. I must have locked it into the on position. Without realising it was locked on I plugged it in. The AG was sitting on a hi chair and then it bounced off and hit me. It didn't hurt at the time I just felt a thud and then saw the AG on the ground. Then saw a large squirt. Anyway military medical training kicked in and yeah all under control. IMAG2883.jpg

:wacko: Yeah....it won big time!  I love my angle grinder, but it scares me just enough that I always turn it off the second the cut is over. I'm almost OCD in how I work with it. Hope u heal quick! 

Edited by Brian Myers
1 person likes this

Hi @Brian Myers. Thanks. The problem is it was off. But when I went to turn it on nothing happened and I must have locked it into the 'on' position and went ahead and plugged it in. 

I nicked an Artery, tendons, and nerves. Have no feeling from the cut down. 

I am still in hospital waiting for the surgery. It's first up tomorrow/today. It's midnight here. 

Thanks for your kind words of support. 

Well that sure is gnarly. :unsure: Best of luck healing up. 

Edited by Austin_Lyles
1 person likes this

Man, that is ugly.  I hope things go well, having a good thought for you.

Geoff

1 person likes this

Good thing the training kicked in. Thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery Chris. At least it's not you hammer hand ;)

1 person likes this

Please be careful bud, you have some major arteries in those locations. My wife whose brain is bigger than mine informed me that the popliteal, and tibial arteries are back there.  I don't want you bleeding out.  Glad you are getting it taken care of though.

1 person likes this

Thanks all. I appreciate your support. 

Yep kind of glad I've dealt with this on others one or twice before. Being a combat medic in the army certainly came in handy this time round. Due for surgery in an hour. I was bumped off of last night's list. Fingers crossed. 

Hi all. Surgery went well returned home yesterday. Confirmed by the surgeon I had minor tendon damage, nicked an artery and severed the surface nerve which runs down the outside of the calf. 

I will not have any felling to that side of my calf for sometime but other than that I'll heal fast and be back at it in no time. 

Gnarly scar to remind me to have more respect for the power tools in my shop and take things steadily rather than having white line fever. 

Thanks for all those who sent best wishes. 

Glad to hear it Chris. Welcome back.

Yesterday I double checked my grinder every time I went to plug it in.

Yikes, glad to hear that you will recover.  Hope you are back on your feet soon.  This is why I only have paddle switch style angle grinders in my shop, though I have to admit I'm not always as careful as I should be in setting them down on a cluttered table top where they might fall over and engage said switch.  Thanks for the cautionary tale to help keep the rest of us on guard as well.

Wow, close call there. Glad you're going to be ok.

Yowie !! I had a cutting disc hang up and get away from me once, tried to catch it and got a finger bit pretty good then it hit the floor jumped up and bit into my shop hound's shoulder/ foreleg after a wild, loud, bloody chase I got him to the Vet for 8 stitches, he doesn't try to catch sparks any more........

Get better soon............

Edited by Clifford Brewer

I think that it was Jim Hrisoulas in one of his videos where he said that hand tools injure and power tools maim.  Glad it wasn't any worse and that you're on the  road to recovery.

Doug

Wow mate, no good there, that's a nasty one. All the best and good luck with surgery.

ouch :wacko:, glad to see you back. just the other day i got my earbuds caught in the AG :lol:

On 4/16/2017 at 4:19 PM, Wes Detrick said:

Please be careful bud, you have some major arteries in those locations. My wife whose brain is bigger than mine informed me that the popliteal, and tibial arteries are back there.  I don't want you bleeding out.  Glad you are getting it taken care of though.

Wes's wife is correct. There are also a fair number of nerves traversing that area (Popliteal, peroneal, are the big ones) I hope that those are intact. Heal fast.

1 person likes this

Thanks All, its been 2 months now and while i am lucky to have full use of the leg unimpeded i have no feeling down the outside of it and according to the surgeon wont have for quite some time. A constant reminder to take things slower and not to rush. 

Cheers all. 

1 person likes this

It could have easily been worse! Good to hear you're up and running. That sure was a nasty bite. 

1 person likes this