New Broad Axe Finished

Eric McHugh

You wouldnt happen to have any WIP photos would you? This is gorgeous and i would really like to make some axes for family members that are similar to this. 

1 hour ago, rickmanb said:

You wouldnt happen to have any WIP photos would you? This is gorgeous and i would really like to make some axes for family members that are similar to this. 

No sorry.  I have plans to do that in the future, but I don't have any at the moment.

Very nice work, Eric! The axe has beautiful proportions and it looks like a well balanced weapon.

• Like 1

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Eric, that is one of the cleanest and most crisply-designed axes I have ever seen. I am really impressed.

• Like 1

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

15 hours ago, Eric McHugh said:

No sorry.  I have plans to do that in the future, but I don't have any at the moment.

Dang! Thanks though for the answer. I'm just starting out blacksmithing & bladesmithing but i really want to make axes as one of, if not my main, direction.

17 hours ago, Eric McHugh said:

Is it wrong to be pleased with yourself?  I am really happy with this guy.  I think the shape and taper are really pleasing to the eye.  I'd like to own this axe.  :-)

Nope, you can be as please with yourself on that one as you want to be!  I'd probably sleep with it under my pillow...

• Like 1

-Brian

Excellent job, beautifully simplistic !!................B)

• Like 1

If ya can't be good don't git caught  !!                                        People who say stuff can't be done need to

git the hell outta the way of people who do stuff   !!!

Show me a man who is called an expert by his peers         

And I will show you a good man to listen to ......

Show me a man who calls himself an expert

and I will show you an egotistical asshole...............!!

What a great axe. Super clean and no unnecessary embellishments; it is just good stuff.  Great work!

Edited by Wes Detrick
  • Like 1

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

Great job Eric, How long is the clean up on an axe like that and how are you going about getting the finish.

In my experience that axe is two wholly diferent jobs, Making a forged axe and then making it look that good. were you ever tempted to leave the forge finish on it?

Great work.

• Like 1

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

Really nice work!

• Like 1

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

On 4/24/2017 at 2:15 AM, owen bush said:

Great job Eric, How long is the clean up on an axe like that and how are you going about getting the finish.

In my experience that axe is two wholly diferent jobs, Making a forged axe and then making it look that good. were you ever tempted to leave the forge finish on it?

Great work.

I believe I spend 6-8 hours doing that finish.  For the first grits I use my grinder.  That is why I was asking you about the felt wheel.  I was thinking I could go to a higher grit.  Anyway, I then take it up to 800, and draw it back to satin with a scotch-brite pad and emery powder.  I learned that from our favorite Swede ;-) It gives it a milky smooth finish.  Yes, I was tempted to go with the forged finish, but honestly (and I'm not being a smart ass) that is your trademark move, and I was trying to find my own path with these things.