GEzell

Simple seax

IMG_20170419_134045085_zpsrgusv6cu.jpg

IMG_20170419_135445311_zpsjglzqmye.jpg

IMG_20170419_135256543_zpsimuklytf.jpg

Two rather simple seaxes I recently finished.  I've been quiet here lately, working on a very challenging commission that has me upgrading much of my equipment, the heat-treatment in particular.  These two blades are part of the first group of blades heat-treated in my new furnace, and I needed something new to take to Tannehill, so I went ahead and finished these out.

The blades are forged from 1084 and are just under 1/4" thick.  Both were grinded down to a zero edge, then refined with a tiny micro-bevel... They are very sharp and cut well for being so thick.  One is 10 5/8" overall with a 5 11/16" blade and maple handle.  The smaller one is 8 11/16" overall with a 4" blade and bog oak handle.  The sheaths are embossed leather with bronze fittings.

• Like 3

Those are both fantastic looking George!  I keep meaning to make a saex, and I always come back to yours to scrutinize. 

George, when I think of Seax I think of your work always. Even though you can produce much more than Seax art, you. Nail these every time.

Wish I could go to Tannehill. Been living in Ft. Lauderdale since August. Haven't had time to even hold a hammer.

Gary LT

Very nice work George. The sheaths are beautiful and the knives are graceful as all get out.

very nice. Whilst you say simple is see complex... Would hate to know what this commission of yours is :)

Thanks guys.  These just sold this morning, both to the same person...:)

Chris, the challenging commission is a sword, a Viking style single-edge that has me upgrading much of my equipment to handle larger blades.  Grinding a 30" blade has proven to be a true test of my ability, now it needs heat-treatment...

When it's done I'll name it Spiffy, in honor of Alan...:)

Edited by GEzell

That, sir, is an honor!  :lol:

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That, sir, is an honor!  :lol:

I overheard a conversation earlier about Charlemagne's sword Joyese, and how Google translated it to 'Happy', which one must admit is an odd but strangely appropriate name for a sword...

Spiffy is even better.