• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garry Keown

latest knives nearly done.

7 posts in this topic

The blades still have to have their final cleanup and sharpen but thought to show some of them at this stage as generally when they are finished they are out the door. Not extra fancy but good working knives.

This pattern I call my Hunter Skinner and the first one has cocobolo scales with all blades being 1/8 1084

DSCN0723_zpsdykybhoj.jpg

Walnut and jarah

DSCN0727_zpslpc9buqn.jpg

walnut and ebony

DSCN0726_zpsew2mttkv.jpg

And the same pattern scaled up slightly I call the wapiti hunter and this one has hickory and walnut

DSCN0728_zps7rbsiowt.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
1 person likes this

Then there are a couple of my boner pattern

One for myself that has handle scales from a tree I cut from my late fathers yard in the 80's

DSCN0725_zpsvdxouiuk.jpg

One in walnut and jarah as a companion knife for a light hunter I shipped off a while back.

DSCN0729_zpsc3wjtltv.jpg

and one in plain walnut

DSCN0724_zpsraywwekz.jpg

1 person likes this

They all needed sheaths so marked them out on a double shoulder of 3mm (1/8) cow hide, making sure toi wate as little as possible

DSCN0717_zps4do6hcju.jpg

I made up a couple from the remains of a previous piece of leather to test the patterns with the knife before cutting into the hide.

DSCN0718_zpskgjspcd4.jpg

Sewed the belt loop and glued on the welt

DSCN0719_zpsqk4ygtej.jpg

1 person likes this

nice work. 

A third hand or stitching pony makes sewing the sheaths a much easier prospect

DSCN0722_zpsvs6dxwig.jpg

And the result of a few hours stiching. There are a  couple of extra ones here that I didn't get a pic of for the first post and a couple that are still in rough sanded shape. The one on the far left is my own light hunter with a fantastic piece of end grain olivewood laminated to a walnut liner with buffalo horn bolsters. Top left is a new one for killing my sheep when needed with copper pins in walnut scales and top right is my new field scalpel with buffalo horn scales. I will show them propperly when they are done.

The sheaths still have to be hot waxed so will get to that after tomorrow.

DSCN0741_zpsmfwtx582.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
1 person likes this