• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Jonas Liebel

Viking Art Knife - Modifying the background of an image

3 posts in this topic

Heya guys,

I have forever been very frustrated about not being able to make decent quality pictures of my work, mostly because i felt there was a lack of contrast between the knives and the background.

I now had the idea to just insert a contrasting image background via Gimp, and in my opinion it turned out pretty well...

So I'm thinking about doing this for every future knife, but what do you think, do you feel like that it is a negative thing ?

I added the original picture for comparison.

Messer Background.jpg

IMG_20170420_142408900.jpg

Edited by Jonas Liebel

I just changed my background to one that worked for me. I use manual settings, unless shooting with my cellphone. Lighting is very important too. Read about it.  Also read commercial product photography, and shooting materials.

See these photos shot with my cellphone for examples.

attachment.jpeg

rps20151224_121232.jpg

1372555241237.jpg

Edited by GBrackett

Jonas, I think the background works well for that knife, whether it will work for other ones, I cannot say.

I will say that in my experience with photographing my own work, the background should not be very busy or shiny. Neutral tones help a lot. Try inserting a background that is more gray than black and see if that looks any better. 

George's advice about lighting is spot on. If you look at his first photo, you will see the light diffuser panel on his table top. diffused light is very important and it will eliminate those shiny glare spots in your photos.

Nice looking knife too!