A 9" Bowie in 1080, Sambar stag and a D Lisch style split ring guard

Steve Nowacki

An order came in for a 9" Bowie with Sambar stag handle and a split ring guard. As far as I know the only maker that produces this style of Guard is the ABS Master smith David Lisch. I contacted David explaining about the order and asked him if he would mind if I attempted to make this style of guard for this Bowie. David got back to me and being the gentleman that he is said, " if you feel that you can do it, I say go for it".
The blade steel is EN42J (AISI1080), blade... length is 235mm with a full flat grind, blade width is 43mm, thickness on the spine is 6mm and an overall length of 370mm including the pommel nut. The blade has had clay applied to give a differential temper line when quenched. The hand guard is a split ring in the D Lisch style with vine file work, thorns and a clam shell filed into the top. There are also three smooth brass spacers between the blade and the bolster. The gun blued bolster has a thin nickel silver line running through it's centre.
The Sambar stag handle has been left natural and cleaned back to reveal more of the white antler. The steel butt cap is gun blued, filed to match the flutes on the antler and held in place with a gun blued pommel nut.
The leather sheath is a Mexican loop style dyed golden brown. The main body of the sheath is golden brown and black with a python skin inlay on the front panel and a Sam brown stud and keeper strap.
Thank you for taking the time to look gents, all comments and critique very welcome.

All the best

Steve

DSCF5198.jpgupload pic

DSCF5202.jpgupload pic

DSCF5203.jpgupload pic

DSCF5204.jpgupload pic

DSCF5205.jpgupload pic

DSCF5206.jpgupload pic

DSCF5207.jpgupload pic

DSCF5208.jpgupload pic

DSCF5209.jpgupload pic

• Like 5

Simply beautiful. Your attention to detail is amazing, like the relief cut for the ring guard. Very nice and I really respect your contacting David Lisch, very professional of you. Did you also make the sheath? If so also amazing.  

• Like 1

Wow. That is such a neat guard design! I love it.

Thanks for sharing this. Beautiful work.

Dave

• Like 1

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

I'd say you did a pretty damn good job of replicating his guard.  That is a gorgeous knife Steve.   

Dave is a nice guy, and I have had the pleasure of taking a few classes with him.  And he is a amazing knife maker.  I think you did his work justice.

• Like 1

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

Morning gents

Thank you for your comments I really appreciate them, as I've said before there are a lot of great knife makers on this forum and your appreciation for the work that I post on here means a great deal to me. To answer your question Jim I also do all of my own leather work, I think I get as much pleasure making the sheaths as I do from making the knives.

Thank you once again guys

All the best

Steve

I've got some before and after shots of the hand guard that you may find interesting,

DSCF5195.jpg

DSCF5196.jpg

DSCF5197.jpg

DSCF5199.jpg

DSCF5200.jpg

Edited by Steve Nowacki
  • Like 1

Very nice work. May I please ask how you cut the ring out of the guard?

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos qui libertate donati nescimus quid constat

Hi Charles

After drawing out the basic style of the guard and transferring it to the steel, where the base of the the ring starts I drilled two small 2mm holes. Then I clamped a straight edge to the guard and very carefully cut one side of the ring in using a 1mm thick cutting disc. Then I removed the straight edge and did the same thing on the other side. I didn't cut all the way to the ends with the cutting disc because you can't finish the cuts off cleanly. The final parts of the cuts were finished with a hacksaw blade, thanks for looking I hope the explanation helps.

Cheers

Steve

Yes Steve. Thank you very much.

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos qui libertate donati nescimus quid constat

Not bad for your first try laddie! Did you also use David's recessed finial attachment? I'm trying to figure out where that machine screw goes.........

I have to say this is a beautiful package. There are a few things that bug me about it, but they are really personal taste items and not quality concerns in any way.

I do love that clam shell, the sheath is some fine work, and that spacer package is perfect. The thing I love most about this knife though is the part you don't see. That hinged tang is absolutely brilliant. Thanks for the process photos too.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Cheers Joshua you're a gent. The pommel nut on this knife wasn't recessed what I think you can see Joshua is the M5 thread bar that I keep the pommel nut on while I'm assembling and dismantling the knife during the build. You wouldn't believe how many times I can drop that pommel nut on the workshop floor then spend an age on my hands and knees looking for it. The dimensions of the nut are, height 10mm, main body 8mm in diameter and top diameter of 10mm. It has been drilled and tapped for an M5 thread

Here are some pic's of the hinged tang, these are actually from the last Bowie that I made, but the build process is exactly the same I hope you like them.

Steve

Counter sink rivet jig and formed counter sunk rivet.

DSCF5121.jpg

DSCF5120.jpg

DSCF5116.jpg

Hinge and tang on the knife.

DSCF5119.jpg

Partly riveted

DSCF5127.jpg

Checking for alignment.

DSCF5129.jpg

Now checking the overall thickness, as this point can't be thicker than the tang or I can't slide the spacers, bolster and hand guard into position.

DSCF5130.jpg

This last pic just shows what the hinged section was made from

DSCF5131.jpg

Edited by Steve Nowacki

I love the knife. thanks for showing the guard and fasteners. This is a great project.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

That's a very satisfying knife to look at.  Excellent, clean work there!

Please come and waste some otherwise perfectly good time, looking at my knives!

www.prometheanknives.com