• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian Madigan

Amazon knock-offs of US made grinder

12 posts in this topic

FYI : avoid Amazon's knock-offs. Whatever this 'Happybuy' shell company is selling is not an Oregon Blade Maker grinder. They even 'borrowed' the images directly from OBM's ebay store. But if you're looking for a good grinder frame, make sure you get it from the manufacturer. The Chinese shell companies are getting very sneaky with copying products made by US businesses and then running those US businesses out of the market.

Counterfeit item on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Grinder-Complete-Chassis-Mounting/dp/B071XTDT5V/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1493741914&sr=8-3&keywords=72"+belt+grinder

OBM's real store: http://stores.ebay.com/oregonblademaker

OBM has not had any luck getting amazon to take down the counterfeit item. 

It always raises a red flag with me when the advertiser says that it is only for hobby use.

Doug

It's easy, claiming that they are for hobby use only gives them an out not to make a refund when the cheap unit craps out on you.  It becomes your fault that you used it too hard.  Or maybe it's just me being skeptical.

Doug

OBM ripped off the multi arm frame anyway, it's only right. And if you say he didn't then you cannot complain about China doing the same.

19 hours ago, Sam Salvati said:

OBM ripped off the multi arm frame anyway, it's only right. And if you say he didn't then you cannot complain about China doing the same.

How do you figure "It's only right"? While you are at it, please define "ripped off" in this context.

Did you think they invented the multi stacked arm style frame?

if they ripped someone off then if they get ripped off it's only fair. 

Its great to see people get upset about Chinese knock offs, if you fall for it it's only your fault lol. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Sam Salvati said:

Did you think they invented the multi stacked arm style frame?

No I didn't. But using an idea and modifying it to suit your preferences is not what I call "ripping someone off". I don't suppose there's an Intellectual Property lawsuit to back up your claim that they "stole" this design?

if they ripped someone off then if they get ripped off it's only fair. 

So if you think that Jim stole something from Bob, then it's OK for Steve to steal something from Jim? Interesting ethical viewpoint. Not the kind of thing I would agree with, as it brings a whole host of integrity issues with it.

Its great to see people get upset about Chinese knock offs,

China does not recognize International copyright or patent laws. As far as the Chinese government is concerned, personal ownership of intellectual property does not exist. You might feel differently if you were on the receiving end of the infringement.

if you fall for it it's only your fault

Now that is something I cannot argue with.

My issue is with Amazon. They're turning into Alibaba for retail. What this seller is shipping is not the product they show in the pictures. The grinder in those pictures is not what you're going to get. The Chinese market is really really efficient at knocking off other people's stuff and selling it for cheaper, which puts honest manufactures out of business quick. If suddenly half or more of your sales were going to a shell company in China, wouldn't you be kinda pissed off? I would. And then on top of that your reputation for building a good tool went down the tubes because the knock-offs are so bad. It's not just grinders, it's everything we buy. I'm not an isolationist or anything, but China's gonna be running the manufacturing world before long. Look at grizzly, harbor freight etc. 

I am both a buyer and seller on Amazon and have been very happy with both sides.  Amazon takes complains seriously, all my issues with sellers have been quickly resolved or Amazon steps in and investigates.   As a buyer, I had a  company not respond to a complaint, on their own initiative, Amazon stepped in and gave me a full refund.   Returns are a matter of clicking a button, even the label and pick-up are done by Amazon.

My point with this, is if you've a problem with a seller on Amazon, contact them.   because until you contact them, how is Amazon to know there's a problem?

Amazon has been cracking down on counterfeit lately. Report it.