Justin Mercier

Now we're cookin' with... er... magnetism?

I'm so excited!  My biggest hindrance to my shop time and getting blades and things made is that my shop time comes in 60 minute or so increments, which isnt enough time to fire up the propane forge, let it get to temp, get heats on my material, and then shut it all down and have it cool enough to close up the shop again.

I just picked up this 15kW SP-15A induction forge.  It was purchased from Grant Sarver shortly before his passing, but then has never been setup or plugged in.  I'm the second owner, but will be the first user of this machine.    I honestly thing this will multiply my effective shop time by more than 10x, as well as allowing me to forge on even the hottest of days in the summer without heating the garage up to unbearable temps.

I hope to have it set up and running this weekend !

inductionforge.jpg

• Like 2

Super cool! It's nice to be able to instantly heat steel without waiting for a gas forge to come up to heat. 

Is that a Morgan back there? 

I have the same time problems.  I look forward to getting my own induction heater some day.  Let us know how it all goes!  

One of those would be the katz jammas but the price is too steep fer me.....I know I would love one, and betting you will......B)

Have you watched Grant's videos on using them ??....(Probably a silly question)....

Edited by Clifford Brewer

OK Surely this is not a real thing? This appears to be somewhat crazy. 

No, it is a very real thing, and an awesome thing at that.

The field in the coil induces eddy currents in the bar that make the heat.

I'm envious Justin :)

• Like 1

If the machine is hooked up right it just turns off.  If not, yeah, sparks are possible!

That thing is plum scary how fast it can heat metal!!!   :jawdrop: I would be afraid my hand would shake!  :s7435:

It is a very good idea to cover the coils with an electrically and hopefully thermally insulating material.  This prevents problems with the machine shutting off (or worse if it doesn't shut off) as well as prolonging the life of the coil itself.  

OK - I am at wow town, this is ridiculous. What is someone looking at in $ to get something like this up and running? Can you make the coils bigger to forge larger blocks etc? 

Those are such impressive devices, congratulations on getting one.  In the second video it looks like you got the steel up to sparking hot, how much control over the heat do you have?  If one of these could be fine tuned for a specific temperature, the possibilities are limitless.  Presets for tempering (yeah I know it wouldn't be practical but can it do it?), austenizing, forgewelding... Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility...;)

If I recall correctly, these were going for $3500 new, when you could get them.  You can't anymore (that I know of).  There are other units that you can get though.  Haven't heard much about them.  You can indeed make new coils, and any shape you want (think things like a "pancake" style that looks like the coil on an electric stove top).  Larger coils mean less concentrated energy input, and odd shapes mean non-uniform energy transmission.  Both of those could be considered a good thing in the right circumstances.  Depending on the model there are settings for times, cycles, ramp up current (amps), holding/soaking current, and such.  Check out this thread where @Dave Stephens and I chat a bit about functionality.  It has a picture of the control panel for his too, which looks to be the same.  

• Like 1

This has blown me away thanks for sharing your knowledge. I am a long way away from this kind of tech for me but it's nice knowing what is out there. 

They are still available, Gene Olson of The Mettle Works is still importing them on a custom order basis, having taken over the 'induction forge business' from Larry Langdon (who kept it going after Grant Sarver passed away)   I believe they're still around 3500 for the SP-15A unit (single phase) and then you also need a tig cooler.

He's got a page set up just for the induction forges, tied to his Mettle Works page.   http://inductionforges.com/

This last week has been great, it's the first week in years where I've got some forging done EVERY day for a week, even if its' only been 15 minutes and a couple of heats, it's better than nothing !    What I need to do now is make a custom coil that's got multiple coils on the same circuit so I can work stock out and then fit it in a different loop without having to change ends.  Say a 1" diameter coil and then further out a 3/4 tall by 2 wide coil, so I can break down bar stock into blade size and then forge blade all without having to change the element.   Similar to the one Mark Aspery uses here, but with the larger coil more flattened out for wide stock.

Oh and as for touching the coils and shakey hands... it's also a little magic in that regard too, because of the induced magnetic field, it tends to center your work piece in the coil automatically for you, reducing the number of times you bump the coils.   Pipe and round bar want to stay dead center in the coil naturally, and you can feel it tugging you towards center if your hand shakes.

I would love to have one of these for forging miniatures, I saw some cheaper induction heaters but the price difference has me skeptical now. 

4 hours ago, Justin Mercier said:

They are still available, Gene Olson of The Mettle Works is still importing them on a custom order basis, having taken over the 'induction forge business' from Larry Langdon (who kept it going after Grant Sarver passed away)   I believe they're still around 3500 for the SP-15A unit (single phase) and then you also need a tig cooler.

He's got a page set up just for the induction forges, tied to his Mettle Works page.   http://inductionforges.com/

That is fantastic!

On 5/7/2017 at 12:57 PM, Justin Mercier said:

How’s your electric bill been when runnng that I’d love to get one of those myself.