WIP on a 19 knife group buy

On a hunting forum the guys had seen a couple of my knife projects and it was sugested that a group buy might be in order so this is the result with them  all profiled with coarse belt today.
Nine round butt skinners on top with a pair of boys knives, 2 light hunters, a reverse angled hunter skinner, 2 wapiti hunters and 3 boners on the bottom row. May get the egdes all tidied up with fine belts tomorrow and start cleaning up the faces.

DSCN0797_zpsfbv8ngji.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the hot waxing of the sheaths.  

Have these blades all ready for heat treating now with their individual handle scales all marked for each knife with the name of the recipient scribed onto the tang so that will do for this week. Ther

On a hunting forum the guys had seen a couple of my knife projects and it was sugested that a group buy might be in order so this is the result with them  all profiled with coarse belt today. Nine

Wow Gary - Thats a huge order to fill. What time frame are you looking at to complete something like this? 

No defitive time frame Chris, but I indicated 6-8 weeks to delivery when the group buy was sugested but then it takes another 10-14 days for them to get to the US from here. There are a coupe of extra boners in there so I will have a couple that will only need handles done to keep in the draw.

Today was a short day but I did get the edges and faces all cleaned up  with the choils filed in so they are ready for edge scribing and the prelininary 45% edge ground on then the primary bevels can be done.

• Like 1

It was a good day in the shed today with 13 blades having the main bevels ground in and taken to 240 grit but the grinder motor was getting warm enough and I needed a spell from leaning over it so left them for today.
DSCN0802_zpsycbskpit.jpg

And moved on to another project I had needed done. I have a dozen 18 in bar clamps but that is not enough to do the handles on this group of blades if they are all ready at once so I got a length of 4 inch channel iron at the scrap yard and had it cut into 1 1/2 in strip. This afternoon I started the process of turning them into handle clamps by drilling and tapping a hole in one end for a 12mm threaded rod. I had got a couple of 1 metre threaded rods and will cut them into 110mm lengths.

So this is the ones that have been tapped and the rest waiting to be done.
DSCN0804_zps0uccc8tp.jpg

The end of the threaded rod is turned down on the grinder (no lathe for me)  and a groove is made to except the head of the clamping piece which is just a short length of 20mm rod that has a hole drilled to suit the turned down end of the threaded rod, then a cut each way with the cut off disc on the angle grinder
DSCN0803_zpsacez1jgs.jpg

And the cut ends can be taped into the groove to make for a clamping piece that is able to swivel and or clamp up to slightly uneven angles. All that is left to do is to weld a handle on the end of the rod and maybe a washer on the end of the clamping head to increase the size but that may be unnessary.
I will have to clean them all up of rust etc but this one is just put together to test the theory.
DSCN0805_zpsv64qugt0.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Gary. With those clamps, why wouldn't you Whack a nut on the other end, fill it with weld, sand smooth and call it done?

If you are talking about the clamping end then a fixed nut wouldn't allow for the head to turn as the clamping pressure is applied as it would try to turn what you were clamping as the fixed nut started to grip the surface and the other reason is that it would only allow for clamping paralell surfaces where this way it will swivel with the thread turning inside the clamping head as the pressure is applied and of course it will also clamp uneven angles.

Also please note my name has two R's

• Like 1

Hey Garry (with two R's - Sorry) 

Thanks for sharing your reasoning, i wouldn't have thought of those and hence my questions. I am not a fabriactor's A Hole and thus ask questions to find answers. Please dont take it as having a dig or anything. 

Good luck with the rest of the build/s, i will be following with keen interest. 

Cheers, Chris. (with 1 R - :P)

No worries Chris. I did take it as you looking for reasoning and nothing more. That is the great thing about the forum.

This is not my own design as I saw this great youtube video

Because I dont need the overt pressure to hold the handle scales on I wont do the reinforce round the outside. (and probably wont paint them yelow either lol)

Edited by Garry Keown
add info
  • Like 1

Have these blades all ready for heat treating now with their individual handle scales all marked for each knife with the name of the recipient scribed onto the tang so that will do for this week. There are different handle requests with some having bolsters (jarah or ebony) but all having scales from a rimu board I had set asside for them . There are a couple of foriegners in there with one having jarah scales and the hidden tang with brass jarah and beech. There were some that wernt part of the group buy that are set asside for now but they will be attended to after these are completed. 

DSCN0817_zpsznml7n64.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 2

Hey Garry - Cracking on nicely with this lot. 

I didn't know you had Jarah down your way? How do you like using it for knife handles? I have BULK Jarah in my workshop (used in furniture etc) and was thinking of using it for knife hardware. Your feedback on that would be appreciated. 

Keep up the good work. 

I have a little bit Chris that was from a couple of old fence posts. I have used it for a couple of handles but mostly it has been bolsters as it is a nice contrast to the walnut. It can be a bit monochromatic  but one of the guys from the US has requested it as solo wood scales. It makes for good hard and dense scales as you will know, and I usually give them (and most wood sclaes) a coat or two of thinned marine varnish so it goes into the wood then sand it off and finish with oils as usual. 

• Like 1

Nice up-cycling. I would worry about its brittleness when used thinly. I would assume in a handle you would have to be very careful on how hard you screw / peen down on it? 

Look forward to seeing more of them. 

I dont peen the pins and rely on the pool of epoxy at the counter sink either side of the tang and the inside of the handles with the pins being very tight fitting so they they need a good tap to get them into place. I split a set of the ebony bolsters today while doing a tempory pin together to sand the front and rear edges as a pair.

Edited by Garry Keown

It was the off cuts from the last forent tip I put on one of the rifle stocks I make but I got a reasonable sized block of ebony in for another couple of stocks I have to do so had enough to replace them .

I got a few more blades from the drawer ready for heat treating so it will be all done in one session. The ones without handle scales by them are for spec so have drilled them for either bolster and scales or simple one wood scales. The one with all the lightening holes is a piece of 1/4 in D2 that I started some time back and have tapered the tang so may finish it with something nice.
With all the clamps finished and painted I should have no problem getting all the handles sorted without having to wait for apoxy to cure before removing the clamps for another batch.

DSCN0824_zpsbzwuclgf.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! Now that's a large order. You've gotta watch out for those hunter forums, they sure do like giving us business in large numbers. :D An impressive amount of work, Garry. Looking forward to more. 

The blades are all heat treated and tempered so the next few days will see a lot of hand sanding and many sheets of W&D paper to get them all up to a 600 grt finish

DSCN0828_zpsfmyr6sqx.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

God's speed on the hand sanding!  That's a fair pile of work you have sitting there :)

Thanks Brian. Hand and fingers are going to know about it, I expect.

• Like 1
On 5/23/2017 at 4:50 AM, Garry Keown said:

Thanks Brian. Hand and fingers are going to know about it, I expect.

Oh Yeah Boi - Your going to be in the hand hurt locker... Think of it as conditioning. Whack the tunes on / netflix and get to it. GL. See you on the other side. 

I have 11 done so getting there. I rejected one after doing one side so have another cut out and profiled and  will get that one up to speed tomorrow.

Just as a break from the sanding I cut out another two rasp bowies that have been ordered and while they have blades of just 5 1/4 and 5 3/4 I also cut one out from an old slasher blade and it is a bit larger at 15 3/4 OAL. I will post something on them when I finish this lot but it was a nice break today to cut and profile them.

• Like 1

Have finally finished getting these blades handsanded after the heat treating so they are now ready for the handles but that is going to wait for a couple of days as I have something else to do in the meantime.
This is how I do all my handsanding with 220, 360, then 600grit papers round a 3/4 in square hardwood block.
DSCN0847_zpsfeikduaf.jpg

DSCN0846_zpsevgeiy2a.jpg

• Like 1