IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
owen bush

Forge in at bushfire Forge May 2018....

I have Dates for the bi annual forge in at Bushfire Forge.
18th to 20th May 2018...

BushFire Forge on the Kent /London Border UK

3 Days of demonstrations, lectures and forging etc.

Demonstrations and Lectures by: (more information soon)

Jeff Helmes – Canada

Paul Macdonald – Scotland

James Elmslie – Scotland

Blenheim Forge– England

Mick Maxen – England

Grace Horne – England

Owen Bush – England

Dave Roper - England

Alec Steel - England

More info Here.
http://owenbush.co.uk/forge-in-may-6th-7th-8th-2016/

a year away but I am already looking forward to it!

Looks England heavy.......I may have to come and heckle.

Ric

Ric, come along....lots to Heckle!

Charles , email the email adress in the link....Happy to take bookings now.

I will try my very best to be there again.

I had a lot of fun last year, and learned more than I thought was possible in three days.

It will be great to have you all here.

Bumping this one up. I have my ticket and hope to see some of our worldwide brethren here. Bring your beard, I’m sure Owen and the others will supply the fire.

a New Years thought for the forge in.

Next year May 18th- 20th is my biannual forge in, 50 to 70 people from the craft , from many countries gathering to share knowledge and talk shop and drink beer on the weekend of the 18th 19th 20 May.The forge in has a cost of £150 which I use to cover some of the expenses of the gathering (Its a non profit event, I aim to break even but normally make a loss) 
Anyhow I am aware that for some people especially those struggling to make a living from the craft the cost of the event and getting to it, can make it too expensive to attend.
I have gotten a great deal from gatherings like this, from a technical POV as well as the camaraderie of my fellow craftspeople. I have found it invaluable knowing that I am not alone in my work and I have made some great friends.
So I guess this is a small way for me to try and give something back.
I would like to offer up 4 spaces at the forge in for free, and I am willing to cover travel expenses and a sum for food and drink at the event, so attending should cost these 4 people nothing .
I am really aiming this at people who have started in the craft, so students or Makers rather than absolute beginners.
So if you would like to come to a Major Bladesmithing gathering. but can't afford it or know someone who fits the bill, email me some details about yourself/them and your/their work at owen@owenbush.co.uk
This will only be open to people living in the UK (unless there are no takers in which case I may expand it)
I am not interested in knowing anyones financial situation (asking is enough) and will keep any correspondences and names private.

Wishing a happy new year to you all, may your fires burn bright in 2018. Hope to see a few of you in May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone better be taking a whole lot of photos to share from this.   For 2 years since the last bushfire forgein i've been trying to plan to get to this one, and everything was all set... but the big nor-easter storm we had this weekend exposed a leaky roof on my house and now I'm going to have to bail on a trip to london and use the money for re-shingling the house =(  

21 hours ago, Justin Mercier said:

Someone better be taking a whole lot of photos to share from this.   For 2 years since the last bushfire forgein i've been trying to plan to get to this one, and everything was all set... but the big nor-easter storm we had this weekend exposed a leaky roof on my house and now I'm going to have to bail on a trip to london and use the money for re-shingling the house =(  

Thats a shame Justin......but a dry house is more important!

I have added a couple more demonstrators to the line up.......only a month away!

Cheers!

Just under two weeks to go now. I believe there are a couple spaces left for anyone who is umming and ahing ^_^

I have already reserved my place a while ago, this is not something I want to miss.

I'm currently trying to find out an efficiënt public transport route from stansted airport to Welling.

Its facinating and frustrating how every transport in london seems to have nearly the same logo.:wacko:

5 minutes ago, pieter-pauld said:

I have already reserved my place a while ago, this is not something I want to miss.

I'm currently trying to find out an efficiënt public transport route from stansted airport to Welling.

Its facinating and frustrating how every transport in london seems to have nearly the same logo.:wacko:

email us I am sure Vix can sort you out a route...

Thanks for the offer,

I have planned the most efficient route myself, with a little bit of help from google.

I'm certain I'll arrive at the right place

16 hours ago, pieter-pauld said:

Thanks for the offer,

I have planned the most efficient route myself, with a little bit of help from google.

I'm certain I'll arrive at the right place

this works well

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

forge in timetable , obviously the evening drinking chats till dawn, lifelong friends made and other (you had to bee there) stuff is not listed...

Forge-In 2018

Demonstration and Lectures Timetable

Friday 18th

10:30am - Grace Horne - Sheffield, UK - Talk

“Combining scissors and knives and their different technical issues and demands”

11:30am  Owen Bush – UK – Talk and Demo

“Fluxless Welding” (reduction atmosphere welding in a gas forge)

12:30pm - 1:00pm - QUICK LUNCH

1:00pm - OPEN FORGE

If there is the demand Owen is happy to take a group of people through the process of forging a “brute de forge” (Bushfire Forged style paring knife blade)

Suitable for beginners.

4:00pm  Blenheim Forge – UK – Talk

Blenheim Forge kitchen knives and wet grinding

5:00pm  Jeff Helmes – Talk

Portfolio show and tell.

The amazing work of Jeff Helmes (Owen’s words)

N.B. Grace Horne - Grace will be setting up a ‘scissor maker in residence’ in the finishing room all weekend. Feel free to wander in to watch or ask questions.

Forge-In 2018

Saturday 19th

10:00am – Macdonald Armories – Scotland – Talk

“Early Scottish steel and arms production and how this affected indigenous martial culture”

11:00am – Dave Roper – Demo

“Pressblech“

12:00pm - 12:30pm - QUICK LUNCH

12:30pm - OPEN FORGE

Owen can take the group through the process of heat-treating the Bush Forge knife from Friday or another forging process. Up to you guys.

3.30pm - Alec Steele - UK – Talk – Lecture Theatre

“Market like you make - Being a Blacksmith or Bladesmith in the 21st Century”

4:30pm - Grace Horne - Sheffield, UK

“Seamless leather box and sheath making”

5:30pm - Blenheim Forge - UK - Demo

(Repeated on Sunday with other half attendees)

“Wet grinding on the big wheel”

N.B. Grace Horne - Grace will be setting up a ‘scissor maker in residence’ in the finishing room all weekend. Feel free to wander in to watch or ask questions.

Forge-In 2018

Sunday 20th

10:30am – James Elmslie – SCOTLAND – Talk – Lecture Theatre

“Falchion, Messer and Tasak, the Single-edged arms of medieval and renaissance Europe”

11:30pm – Blenheim Forge - UK – Short Demo

(Repeated on Saturday with other half attendees)

“Wet grinding on the big wheel”

12:00pm - Jeff Helmes – CANADA - Demo

Spear Forging

1:30pm  2:00pm - QUICK LUNCH

2:00pm - OPEN FORGE

3:00pm – Wind down / Tidy up

4:00pm – Forge-In finishes (hugs all round, thank you for your support – see you in 2 years!)

By request of our some of the smiths who cannot be here please link/tag photos of the event to BushFire Forge Facebook page and @owenbushbladesm

• Thanks 1

Well the forge in is finished and a great time was had by all. Thanks for hosting this Owen. It was great to meet several forumites in person and many others blade/blacksmiths, associated crafters and interested parties. I didn’t take as many photos as I wanted but here are some.

234415CA-10BF-47AE-8910-64EBC0849476.jpeg

One of the many demonstrations 

B9DF1329-E05E-4129-BEC1-4DCE27A99089.jpeg

Dave Roper’s demonstration on Pressblech.

586C4232-D112-4CB2-B311-0AAD14AF2800.jpeg

My attempt at Pressblech

4341DEEF-A028-4BE7-91BA-BA8A8FC38A2E.jpeg

Inside the treasure chest

6036ECEB-3628-4330-AF19-F9FA81FBFA41.jpeg

Lacemaker’s Scissors by Grace Horn

A8497D54-0631-435A-8FD2-3693F20CC1E8.jpeg

Items from the Macdonald Armouries presentation

81D0B74F-CEE0-48DF-B5A7-D8654A2B1D68.jpeg

Jeff Helmes’ spear forging demo

BA9F01C5-A4D2-446F-8EA4-CA23EB7117B1.jpeg

One of the treasure chest items

Edited by Charles du Preez
  • Like 1

Looks like it was a good time.  Wish I could have been there this time.  

Here is a video that captured it all

• Thanks 1