Sign in to follow this  
Alveprins

Multibar san-mai knife blade

Thought I'd share this for the heck of it...

I promised to make a little blade for my sisters master farrier - so I used a piece of my old botched-up Bowie and made actually two blades out of it. I made them san-mai lamination just to add some more steel into the mix - if not I would have less material. ;)

klivblad.jpg

The blade consists of two bars.. or I suppose 4 - since its a san-mai blade now :P - 15 layer 15 and 15n20 steel, twisted, and laminated with a socalled Øberg-steel in the middle. Øberg is a swedish steel manufacturer I believe... I haven't really read into it.. Its the highest carbon one I go though.. :P haha

HRC is around 58 - so very happy with how it turned out. :)

• Like 2

That looks nice! I really that your twists lined up on it, that just always makes my day! How big is it? It looks almost like a large puukko size but I could be wrong. 

Edited by Timothy Artymko
  • Like 1

That is a very attractive blade. I have done the sanmei to stretch steel from old projects myself. Great trick. Hope the teacher likes the knife.

• Like 1

Very nice looking blade. Well done mate. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 4:53 PM, Timothy Artymko said:

That looks nice! I really that your twists lined up on it, that just always makes my day! How big is it? It looks almost like a large puukko size but I could be wrong. 

It is about 11cm long, 2,8cm wide and 3,7mm thick if I am not mistaken...

It seems the new owner was so impressed with the blade - he didn't want to make the handle and sheath himself - fearing it wouldn't do the blade justice. So he comissioned me to  do it... Haha! :P

I finally managed to get a handle on this little thing...

Stabilized buckeye burl combined with vulcanized fiber, brass and copper - and ofc. mosaic pin.

GaveKniv-1.jpg

GaveKniv-2.jpg

GaveKniv-3.jpg

Starting work on the sheath on saturday I think...

• Like 1

Beautiful. Accompanies that blade well. :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris C-S said:

Beautiful. Accompanies that blade well. :) 

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I figured the grey-on grey would fit nicely, and the highly polished brass and copper makes a nice contrasting eye-catcher of sorts in the middle of the thing. I am quite satisfied with the overall balance of things...

That's an attractive knife!  Blade and burl compliment each other with that nice bright copper and brass in the middle.  Good stuff man

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

...with that nice bright copper and brass in the middle...

It has somewhat of a "The One Ring" -wibe to it doesn't it? I can almost hear it whispering... among all the other voices in my head endlessly competing for my attention... :P

Edited by Alveprins

That is one beautiful knife. My precious ;)

• Like 1

Alright... so - the sheath is finished. This is the first time I make a sheath in which the handle actually goes into the sheath itself - so I am not entirely happy with the lack of "sleekness" (is that even a word?) the sheath ended up with.

However - I am not redoing it - so it will have to do! :P

jo kniv 001.jpg

jo kniv 002.jpg

And one more... in sunshine ;)

jo kniv 003.jpg

And that's it. The knife is now on it's way to a impatient and excited new owner... :D

• Like 1

Can't blame him. If I may: Ooooh!

• Like 1