• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
D.whitla

My first sword. Work in progress.

6 posts in this topic

So nearly finished hunting knife. Getting prepped for a major work that will hopefully be the finest blade I have ever made. Pulling out all the stops on this and going to take it slow and easy. First step was doing the design on paper. Took a bit of work and looks like it will come out as a nice sword. Going to make a wooden version to see how it looks put together.  As for the Damascus pattern I'm hoping it will look good but time will tell. Going for a twisted core and plain Damascus on edges. And going to use Damascus for the guard and pommel with a wire wrapped hand grip.

IMG_20170513_144436.jpg

Edited by D.whitla

so I have the steel arriving tomorrow and I'm wondering if a can get an answer about the pattern weld twisted core. Do I grind all 4 sides flat or leave the bits on what will be the faces with the ridges??? Also do I have to use Damascus steel to bring out the pattern? Because I'm looking to save some if I can and iv got some 1040 already twisted where I was experimenting that I'd like to use for the core if I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the pattern in this instance I'm talking about just the twisted core pattern in the center of the blade.

If you want to have contrast, you have to use Damascus for that.  Twisted 1040, once ground flat, will look no different than untwisted 1040. 

That's what I thought :/ oh well I'm making a practice sword out of the stuff I got here to get it down pat before doing it with the Damascus. Didn't order any extra to cover screwups.

Pic of the stuff I got done yesterday. Couldn't get in the forge today. Just mild steel and wasnt so fussed about the twists as not after a pattern. Welded together quite nicely 55cm in length. Hoping to weld on the blade edges tomorrow and start forging out the rough shape.

IMG_20170517_200639.jpg