• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
D.whitla

Badly designed charcoal forge

5 posts in this topic

OK I had a look at my charcoal forge just now after it had cooled off and I have noticed a serious design flaw. Namely no way to clean ash that drops in the air pipe. On the plus side the charcoal I use isn't leaving huge clinkers. Only a handful after a full days work. Any tips on a work around for the ash problem would be appreciated. So far it seems to mostly be filling the gaps between the hebel bricks and acting as extra refractory.

IMG_20170509_123054.jpg

Most folks using that design just unscrew the end cap and blow out the ash, or push it out with a rag on a stick.  Charcoal ash is pretty light, it shouldn't give you much problem with getting into the pipe to begin with.  I mean yes, some will always get in there, but it shouldn't be enough to cause problems.

I couldn't find an end cap to fit so solid weld to back of forge lol and yeah there isn't much but getting in through the holes. I'll have to think of a work around.

Can you drill the end of it at the forge end and thread it for a bolt, then you can take the bolt out and put the air hose in to blow any ash out through the elbow that you would unscrew.

Edited by Garry Keown

That sounds like it could work. Currently making a Damascus bar but I'll try that tonight. Up to 81 layers so far. One more triple should do it.