• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Gary Mulkey

Opinions Wanted Historical Project

4 posts in this topic

My next project is going be a Scottish Dirk with a hilt similar to this.  My question:  Would you prefer it  with a solid  blackwood hilt like  the one in this photo or would you like  the rear 1/3 of it to be made of ivory?dirk_opt_opt_zpsuhoewfqm.jpg

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Gary

Looking at this strictly from preference I think I would rather see it solid blackwood instead of mixing the blackwood and ivory on the same handle! You know I had to pause right before posting this because, my mind is thinking would that look like a crown on the blackwood!   :les: Nope I will stick with the blackwood! 

1 person likes this

I feel a bit like a flea giving the dog he lives on hunting advice here, but I'd stick with just the blackwood.  I think some ivory accents could look great,but making the back 1/3 from ivory is hard for me to picture in a way that looks like it belongs.  

1 person likes this

Thanks, gentlemen.  That's the answer that I  expected but had to ask.