Sign in to follow this  
Aiden CC

My KITHchen Knife

It's about time I started on this!

IMG_3600.JPG

This knife is based off of the knives I saw in Patagonia, though a little bit smaller. The edge is fairly straight so for a large knife it still has a fine tip. I'm going for a fairly old school look, so the tang is beveled the same as the blade and I'm going to use straight grained walnut for the scales and put it together with cutlers rivets. 

Man, you stole my pun! XD My wife is really tired of me saying "KITHchen knife" at this point. I guess great minds think alike. It's looking good so far!

Drilling holes for the handle on this proved a bit of a geometric challenge. The tang is ground to the same angle as the blade and thus the scales are not parallel. My solution: superglue the scales to the tang, grind the spine of the handle to where I want it, then use that surface as a reference to make the flats of the handle parallel on the disk sander (if they are both perpendicular to the spine, they must be parallel to each other)

scales super glued.jpg

The scales roughed out and glued to the tang

holes drilled.jpg

Next, I removed one scale, marked the holes and drilled through the tang and other scale with a 1/8" drill bit, then transferred the holes to the other side. The female ends of the rivets have an OD of 0.150", so I found a drill bit which is about 0.005" bigger than that. This will allow for expansion when the rivets are driven together. In the picture, you can see the rivet heads since I sued them as locator pins (they are a weird size, so I don't have pinstock or extra drill bits to use). I have a step drill made specifically for these rivets I will use to countersink for the heads.

Finished!

IMG_3688.JPG

I really like these cutler's rivets. Everything feels a bit loose, but as soon as you push them together and they expand (I drilled the holes 0.005" oversized) and the heads seat in the countersinks everything tightens up nicely. 

IMG_3689.JPG

the tang that's thinner in the front was a bit challenging, but I like the "old school" look it has with the straight grained walnut, rivets, and no plunges. 

IMG_3690.JPG

Since tomatoes slicing seems to be a thing...

It can shave little slices off the top without holding the tomatoe, so happy about that. Excited for the drawing!

Edited by Aiden CC
  • Like 2

That is nice Aiden, Super slick looking. 

That turned out a very cool knife, it looks a lot like an old solingen knife my grandfather owns.

Schweet!