• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Matt Behnke

Belt Grinder Tracking Issue

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I built a no weld belt grinder, and so far there are no major issue with it. The one issue I do have is that when the belt is just running normal, it runs fine. There is a slight wobble back and forth, but then again I didn't spend a thousand bucks on a KMG. However, to get the belt to run on track I need to adjust the tracking wheel pretty high up. Also, when I put a decent amount of pressure on the object I am grinding, the belt tracks off to the right and almost comes off. Is this a wheel alignment issue? Could the issue be that my tracking wheel isn't perfectly in line with the other wheels, and thatmaybe it goes crooked? Thanks!

Could be a minor alignment issue.  Step one is to run a few layers of 1" masking tape around the tracking wheel to give it more crown.  If that doesn't fix it, it's time to start futzing around with shims.  Hopefully the tape will do it!

My wheels are already crowned, not sure if that makes a difference. I thought the tracking wheel looked to be a bit crooked, maybe I should straighten it more

The photo's I need to explain this are in my photobucket account and I haven't been able to get that site to work right for several months. So I am going to try and explain this with pics from the net!

When you get the belt to track correctly, is it running in line on the drive and the platen or work wheel?

If so, look down over your machine. Image result for top view of a KMG grinder The tension bar could be slightly off. This can be caused by the yoke that holds the tension arm or perhaps the pivot for the tracking pulley itself is off a touch! Think of it this way, one of the reasons a KMG grinder itself costs so much is the precision. Most of us do not have several 100-200K CNC machines to engineer that same precision into a clone! 

With the machine running does the belt track well under load or not? If so it almost has to be the arm or the tracking pivot.  Image result for view of a KMG grinder from above

This pic show the bracket that holds the tracking wheel. Looking down on the machine from above, does it appear that the bolt that holds the tracking wheel is not square to the arm? If so shimming behind one end or the other of the bracket holding the pivot for the tracking itself may be the problem! What I did on mine was to go to the opposite side of the pivot arm drill and tap two holes to hold small allen screws. 

I loosened the bolts holding the pivot bracket and by tighten the allens on the backside I pushed that bracket slightly cocking it one end or the other until the view from above made the bolt for the tracking wheel become 90* to the arm. It did not take a lot and once I got it tracking right I made a shim for the end I had to move and tightened everything down again, ran it with and without load to make sure it would work correctly. One more time I pulled it all apart put loctite on bolts and tightened everything down for good!

Now when I throw a belt on the grinder I only need a small touch to get belt tracking correctly on all three wheels and no more of this having to cock the tracing wheel way up in the air!! I wish I could get to my own photo's they show more of what I done!! If I can get the blankity blank Photobucket to work I will come back and edit this!!

EDIT: OK finally got into my account! As I was saying if the yoke for the tensioner arm is straight then the problem very well may be the bracket for the tracking adjustment itself! 

KMGClone_zpsf94f9be7[1].jpg

This the tension arm (backside) see the 3 holes those were drilled and taped, to accept Allen screws to push the tracking mount out,     (on the other side) of the tensioner arm so it would square with the belt!

Today_Feb._1_2016_021_zpsrinkoscu[1].jpg

In this pic if you look closely you can see the shim, (the white line behind the front bracket).  I ended up putting behind the bracket holding the tracking adjustment! This squared the tracking bracket, set-up enough, so that only a small tweak on the tracking knob is needed now!!

Today_Feb._1_2016_024_zpspvzdlyiy[1].jpg

I hope this helps!!

Today_Feb._1_2016_024_zpspvzdlyiy[1].jpg

Edited by C Craft

I have also found that belt tension has a lot to do with tracking and another turn on the tension handle can correct tracking for me.