• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JPH

Sorry Ar#@!! S$! Square Nut Idjiots...blowing off steam

14 posts in this topic

OK all...I gotta rant.. Some idiotic %$#!@ing JERK hacked my website and pretty much destroyed EVERYTHING. All my articles...all my files...photos..all messed up.. It is so bad I can't even get into my control panel.. Oh they got me good... Now I do have a back up on about 97% of it... but nothing later than the 5th of this month and yeah..I posted more to it since then...so that new stuff is lost.. However I can't even get into it to do a restore... Gonna be a long night for me...while I try to get into my control panel and see exactly what they did..

Man I just want 5 minutes alone with this guy...with some wire cutters, some frozen plain yogurt and a phone book...Just 5 minutes...

So if any of ya were trying to look at my website..it's down...I did manage to direct it to an under construction page until I get it back up and running...at least folks will know I am still alive and not out of business..well not yet anyway...  I will be posting some stuff up in the for sale section to get me some lucre while I work on the repairs/restore.. I am pretty much dead in the water till then...

I tell ya if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.... Dangnabbit..

Sorry for the rant.. just had to get this out...

JPH

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, JPH said:

with some wire cutters, some frozen plain yogurt and a phone book...Just 5 minutes...

Hi JPH, Man, that sucks hard. I am sorry for your loss. If it wasn't ransomed why the F would anyone bother with just destruction. ARGH! :angry: at the world sometime for the stupid people that live it in. 

As for the 5 min. alone part, i get the purpose of 2 - 3 of those items, but the frozen yogurt is a new one to me, and I've done a Tactical Question course in the military... <_<:ph34r: ... please elaborate, for ummm, curiosity sakes, let say... 

JPH I hear you I have lost two PC's to virus corrupting the hard drive in about 3 1/2 yrs. Each time I had security and they got around it and before I knew what was going on it was too late. I wish I was smart enough to write a program, that could control a virus and keep it moving around so that it was almost impossible to catch it!  I sure wouldn't use that knowledge to screw someone over!!

My son in law, is computer nerd, and he went thru one of the PC's hard drive trying to eradicate one of the viruses and he said I don't know who wrote this one but, he was good. Every time I was about to nail it, the virus moved itself to another part of the hard drive! 

Folks work hard to get things like they need them and in a short while some unscrupulous a$$ destroys it in a few seconds. Why just because he can!! 

16 minutes ago, Chris C-S said:

As for the 5 min. alone part, i get the purpose of 2 - 3 of those items, but the frozen yogurt is a new one to me, and I've done a Tactical Question course in the military... <_<:ph34r: ... please elaborate, for ummm, curiosity sakes, let say... 

Ok fair enough...after you split his teeth with the wire cutters you fill his mouth with the frozen plain yogurt..works  like a charm to get your point across about how serious things are.....

Still working on trying to get in..almost had it a couple of times...if I can't get in I may have to resort to plan B..and that is build a different set of files entirely and then work that .. I tell ya...some people  are just jerks..

JPH

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, JPH said:

after you split his teeth with the wire cutters you fill his mouth with the frozen plain yogurt..works  like a charm to get your point across about how serious things are.....

Wow - Thats solid. However in this day and age, with equal opportunity etc, I would appreciate it if you wrote His or Her teeth - BAHAHAHA. Sorry, just my sense of twisted humor, trying to bring some laughter to this shitty situation. 

Scrimshaw his teeth while singing the barney song

1 person likes this

What are folks using for Internet Security here? (I went to Kaspersky 5 years ago, myself, and don't regret it. Not cheap, but like mom said, nothing more expensive than something cheap that doesn't work.)

To be honest, most security that you can purchase is woefully inadequate.  Hundreds of thousands, if not a million pieces of malware are created daily.  Daily.  AV companies are fighting a losing battle in that regard.  Most AV suites are not well equipped to catch anything but threats that are already old and known.

Being smart about your browsing habits is the best medicine.  

Stick to well known, major websites unless you know what you are doing.  Don't open email attachments unless you are expecting them.  Do not install anything that you are prompted to from a website.  Become incredibly familiar with AV suite so you know what it looks like and are not fooled by "rogue antivirus" warnings.  Keep unique, strong passwords.  Let me repeat that last one.  Keep unique strong passwords.  If you are repeating passwords, you are wrong.  Flash based ads can carry malware.  Uninstall Flash from your computer.  Uninstall Java.  Run adblocking extension for your browser.  Run an HTTPS Everywhere extension for your browser. 

Keep backups of everything important.

@JPH - Contact your webhost.  Let them know what happened.  See if they keep backups of your website, and if they do, have them restore.  Immediately change the password to something complex and long.  Pseudo Random password that contains numbers, letters, capitals, special characters and NO dictionary words.  Even if they can't do a restore, contact your webhost anyhow, and let them know.  They make have ways to assist you.

Edited by Wes Detrick

Hello:

Well the site is toast...have to scrap it all and re-install from my off site back up.. Thankfully I have it even though I did loose a bit but that all can be re-posted. I have my computer minions working on changing the templates over to a more current one..so hopefully I will be back up and running here PDQ..until I am I am dead in the water..

My site host is looking into the logs to see if I can get the number of the last one in the site so I can follow up on that with law enforcement...What will come from that I do not know but I am going to do all I can to see that the one(s) responsible are held accountable for what they did.  Time will tell what happens next

Going to post some pieces on the for sale page this afternoon.. So please take a look..

I am still quite upset over this...geeze people need to get a life and stop pulling this stuff

JPH

Illegitimi non carborundum

1 person likes this

Typical. Folks are assholes now-adays. Depressing( in all seriousness). I have a whole spleel on this but it wouldn't matter. Best of luck JPH, you've been a inspiration to many (if not all) to us so please don't let this put a damper on things.  

1 person likes this

Hello:

Got some good news and some bad news...bad news is the site is toasted and the back up has to be loaded one section at a time so that will take a wile since I do not really know what I am doing...YET..

Good news is I have a "site" up (if you can call it that at my atar address. This doesn't really "work" as it is the backup but at least it shows that I am still around and not dead or worse... This has hit me really hard and I have got to get this back up and running as soon as possible..as I am dead in teh water with no $$$ coming in...yikes..Am posting several pieces on my for sale section now...at reduced prices as well for a fast sale...

I will figure this stuff out and get it sorted here PDQ..I may be a Luddite and kick and scream while I am being dragged into the "modern world" but sometimes yas has to adapt...

JPH