• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnHare

Pawn shop anvil?

8 posts in this topic

Going to check this anvil out in an hour. Looks like a 65 pound ferrier anvil. I plan to do blade work and general black smithing.

I'd like a 144 pounder but this may be the best I've had a chance to buy, usually they are gone immediately in my area. If you have seen some of my other posts I've come across some real junk. I also missed my shot on a decent 200lb anvil which was a tough day.

How much do you think this weighs? Any comments? I brought a hammer with me to give it a ring and I also have a 1" ball bearing for rebound.

Edited by JohnHare

Looks around 75lbs or so.  It's not a farrier's anvil, just an ordinary American pattern.  Hay-Budden, Trenton, or similar.  

Check the ring and rebound, look for damage (although it looks okay in that bad picture), and it's worth it to you go for it.  It's a little steep to me, but then I'm not in the market.

If you get it, promise you won't take it anywhere near a machine shop!

Thank you. Ring sounded OK (though I'm not an expert) rebound was maybe only 60-75%.  I tried to talk him down to $200 but he said there were already 3 people on the way in to see it and I believe him.

I went ahead and picked it up here are some more pictures now that it's in my truck.

I could have done better, but I've also been kept from doing a lot worse from help on this forum. I think this will get me started until I can grab something nice off ebay. Feels about 75lbs.

I will clean it up with a grinder with a wire brush and post a couple  more pictures once it's cleaned up.

I want to grind the bad tip down so it's more rounded also, unless this is a bad idea.

John.

Edited by JohnHare

Yeah, you can reshape the horn.  It's just wrought iron anyway.  It's the face you have to be careful about removing material from.

Knocked the rust off with a wire cup brush on my grinder and oiled it down. Unfortunately now that the rust is off the edges aren't as nice as I thought. I have little experience so I'm sure it'll be ok for me starting out.

At work we have an old scale that I weighed the anvil on and it came out to 100lb on the dot which is a little heavier than I thought. The scale hangs from the ceiling with a hook so I didn't have a way to verify it to make sure it was accurate unfortunately.

No markings that I can see but the bottom of the anvil has an oval depression that I read can be an indication of a Trenton or Arm & hammer anvil.

Here are some more photos.

1 hour ago, JohnHare said:

Knocked the rust off with a wire cup brush on my grinder and oiled it down. Unfortunately now that the rust is off the edges aren't as nice as I thought. I have little experience so I'm sure it'll be ok for me starting out.

At work we have an old scale that I weighed the anvil on and it came out to 100lb on the dot which is a little heavier than I thought. The scale hangs from the ceiling with a hook so I didn't have a way to verify it to make sure it was accurate unfortunately.

No markings that I can see but the bottom of the anvil has an oval depression that I read can be an indication of a Trenton or Arm & hammer anvil.

Here are some more photos. ORfzmnZl.jpg

You see the line across the top of this pic, that is your steel plate I do believe. That is why Alan was saying be careful about removing material from!

Edited by C Craft

6 minutes ago, C Craft said:

You see the line across the top of this pic, that is your steel plate I do believe. That is why Alan was saying be careful about removing material from!

Yes, I see that, it is much clearer now all the rust is off. I only took a grinding wheel to the tip of the horn, the rest was done with a wire cup brush on the grinder, good for paint and rust, doesn't wear the steel much. I was surprised at how eaten away it is. I can't find any serial numbers, markings etc anywhere.

Edited by JohnHare

Yep, that's pretty rusty!  Whatever mark it had is long gone.  I lean towards Trenton, unless the underside of the heel shows really strong hammer marks. 

It's still in better shape than my first anvil.