• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alveprins

Bladesmith business + Facebook promotions?

26 posts in this topic

I have - over the past 12 months been using Facebook to promote my bladesmithing and reaching out to an audience.

Now, all of the sudden - my Facebook promotions are suddenly auto-declined, reason being that I am "...promoting the sales of weapons, knives, knuckle-irons..." and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Even trying to promote posts that have absolutely nothing to do with knives or smithing at all gets auto-declined. I made a post about health and fitness a couple of weeks back - DECLINED - reason? Promotion of sales and/or distribution of weapons such as .... blablabla ... knives, etc.

So does this mean that as a bladesmith you can simply just forget about using Facebook as an advertising platform? Seems they allow nothing but cat-videos and pictures of "funny animals wearing hats"

How does one go about promoting one's business online if not through social media?

Sincerely, Alveprins.

Interesting...I use it as well, I have a page called "Appleseed Sharpening Custom Blades." I have not had any issues with any of my posts. Are you talking about the "boost post" feature, which requires a small amount of money? If so, I haven't used that before...

19 minutes ago, Jason McEntee said:

Interesting...I use it as well, I have a page called "Appleseed Sharpening Custom Blades." I have not had any issues with any of my posts. Are you talking about the "boost post" feature, which requires a small amount of money? If so, I haven't used that before...

Yeah. I am talking about the "promote facebook page" and "boost post". Basically it allows you to advertise to a specific demographic, boosting either your facebook page, webpage, or a post. I choose to boost the facebook page - but now all of the sudden I cannot.

I have removed the link to my webpage, as well as anything that could "contribute" to the "sales of weapons" - and still I get auto-declined. Seems almost as if my page has been blacklisted or something. Thing is - I have been promoting for over a year. Now all of the sudden there is a full stop.

Don't know how to fix your problems, but as for selling blades on Facebook, not allowed, not ever pocket knifes.  If you direct to a site outside Facebook, if you have any blades for sale on the web site, again not allowed.

40 minutes ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Don't know how to fix your problems, but as for selling blades on Facebook, not allowed, not ever pocket knifes.  If you direct to a site outside Facebook, if you have any blades for sale on the web site, again not allowed.

Yeah, I've figured this out too. So I've removed link to web page outside Facebook, removed "contact" link to web page and replaced with e-mail address, and there are no blades for sales on the Facebook page - only images of recent work.

EDIT: Alright, so I might have found a way around.

1. Delete ALL previous posts and comments that mention sales, price, bids etc.

2. Remove ALL links to external web page.

3. Change profile from "small business" or "product" to "personal web page"

4. Remove "contact button" link to external web page and replace with e-mail address.

Edited by Alveprins
new info

Seems they have gone through my promotion again - and once again deemed it unfitting. The argument is still the same "promotion of sales of weaponry".

I disputed this decision, and got the answer: "Your promotion was declined because the URL-address connected to the ad explicitly promotes sales of weaponry"
This is despite the fact that there is no longer any URL address anywhere on my facebook page.

OK, that is horsecrap, promoting the sale of weapons.  Type this into the Facebook search tool. f-1 firearms llc

But they're not asking to advertise.   Apparently, that makes all the difference and once you've been tag, all is lost. 

Good to know. I guess I'll never attempt "boost" a post. Sorry you got blacklisted.

I'm a member of a group on Facebook called "Swords, Knives, & Armor/Buy, Sell, & Trade." We've not had any issues...?

I didn't know that about Facebook, but the knife community on Instagram is thriving right now. Which, now that I think about it, is odd, since Facebook owns Instagram. 

I'm sure Facebook would just promote your ad to third world click farms, you might just end up with empty "likes". 

With Instagram you could just add a hashtag to your post, like "#handmadeknives", and then everyone who searches for that might find your post amongst the others with the same hashtag, and by doing so you get to choose your audience.

I'm not too familiar with Instagram but I know Facebook is just one big click farm. 

If I made a hybrid Japanese Bowie knife for buchcraft with upcycled materials and Self harvested wood I feel like I would have a better chance breaking that up into hashtags on Instagram than asking a stranger to sell or show the knife for me, not just a stranger but a strange computer.

I don't really have any experience with this stuff so I might just be blowing a bunch of hot air, but I'm going to do some research about Instagram soon. 

Maybe instagram is good for discovering new things, but Facebook is just the same thing over and over, I get ads for stuff I just looked at on Amazon or ads for the very things I've just purchased. And I get ads for luxury cars all the time, I ride a bicycle that's as old as I am and the people in those cars throw bottles and honk at me when they aren't too busy texting at the wheel! 

I hate the ads I get on Facebook, maybe I'm venting, but it's my view as someone who receives ads on Facebook, I wish they would show me knives or high end die cast models of construction equiptment that I'll never be able to afford anyways, but it's the thought that counts right? You have to feel special to want to buy things for yourself.

On 19.5.2017 at 4:06 PM, Brian Myers said:

OK, that is horsecrap, promoting the sale of weapons.  Type this into the Facebook search tool. f-1 firearms llc

On 19.5.2017 at 7:03 PM, Gerald Boggs said:

But they're not asking to advertise.   Apparently, that makes all the difference and once you've been tag, all is lost. 

Exactly. You can have a Facebook page for all sorts of weapons - you just can't promote it.

On 19.5.2017 at 7:41 PM, Jason McEntee said:

Good to know. I guess I'll never attempt "boost" a post. Sorry you got blacklisted.

Seems "Blacklisted" is the right word. I've removed all "shared links" to my webpage, as well as changed contact button and FB e-mail from the knife-related domain to a neutral one. My ads get auto-declined on the same grounds - even though no sales are mentioned, and no links to external content exist.

On 19.5.2017 at 7:46 PM, Jason McEntee said:

I'm a member of a group on Facebook called "Swords, Knives, & Armor/Buy, Sell, & Trade." We've not had any issues...?

"groups" are exempt from the rule. "...promotes contact between groups of ... interests ..."

On 19.5.2017 at 7:51 PM, Jon Cook said:

I didn't know that about Facebook, but the knife community on Instagram is thriving right now. Which, now that I think about it, is odd, since Facebook owns Instagram. 

Yeah, it seems Instagram will have to be my new marketing platform - because FB is seemingly dead in those respects. Who knows - perhaps the ban-wave will reach Instagram in a not-so-distant future...

On 19.5.2017 at 8:53 PM, steven smith said:

I'm sure Facebook would just promote your ad to third world click farms, you might just end up with empty "likes"....

Actually - I went from having no followers to having quite a few in a short period of time through promotion - and those people are real people engaging in conversations around the stuff I post. Some of them even showed up for an event I attended to hear me speak... I can't talk for other Nationalities - but as for advertising to a Norwegian demographic - it's real people.

Ah that's very good actually, I remember seeing a few videos which looked into where purchased likes or whatever were coming from, but I guess they have fixed that.

You know I have started a response to this three times now and I can't seem to find the words to answer this in words, that does not cross the lines of out of bounds conversation on this forum.

However I am going to try one more time! I will tell you, that you can expect more and more of this! We have become a nation of individuals that our lives begin and end in our own little worlds. We no longer have the ability in our thoughts or vocabulary that actually allow us to see each action and judge that given action on it its own merit. 

In our attempt to make those little worlds we live in safe, we condone thoughts and actions that are not our own. Burying your head in the sand, no matter which side of these kind of issues, your thoughts fall on will not help.  You have to stand for what you believe! 

I am going to throw something out there and it will probably make some mad but, that is not my intention!

• Americans increasingly moved into cities over the course of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, a movement motivated in large measure by industrialization.
  • Eleven million people migrated from rural to urban areas between 1870 and 1920, and a majority of the twenty-five million immigrants who came to the United States in these same years moved into the nation’s cities.
  • By 1920, more Americans lived in cities than in rural areas for the first time in US history.

When those folks began to move to the cities they began to create generations of children who knew nothing about what it was to know the things folks grew up with in the country. Where everyone knew their neighbor and when it was needed,  a world where neighbor helped neighbor. They new what it was to live off the land, how to handle a gun, or a knife, in a safe manner.

Their groceries and everything that was there life came from that city and for some, they would be born live and die in those cities. The one thing that cities really did for this county is too give, the lazy, sorry individuals who didn't want to work a place where they didn't have too. Now the people were concentrated in one area and if that lazy, sorry individual, didn't want to work,..... they didn't have to. They just took what they wanted and they did not have to go far to find another victim. Think about it a minute before you get mad about this! 

I am old country boy and proud of that, I can be just as hick as the worst hick you ever meant or I can be a much more refined person, (the later, usually makes my wife happier with me).

However as a county folk  I learned at an early age, how to handle a gun and I was carrying one of my Dad's old pocket knives at about 6 yrs. of age. I was taught right and wrong and not to talk back to my elders. I was taught that a loaded gun was to be respected and never point one at anything you did not intend to kill.  I lived in a small town and I knew everyone and everyone knew me and my parents and if I did something wrong, my parents knew it, before I got home. My parents lived in that same home and never locked their doors. Till they came home one night and someone ran out of the house, (that would have been in the late1980's). I knew what it was to work hard for a living. I worked on farms, doing whatever was needed. Then at the age of 14, I went to work form my Dad doing a man's job in the construction field. I was expected to keep my grades up but when not in school I worked!!

I went into service, (US Army) at age of seventeen right after graduating from High School ! Still proud to be a county boy and because of that not understanding what it meant to be raised in a city! I never in my life realized, until l had been in Uncle Sam's Army for about 3 months that anyone could be citified to the point of, not knowing or understanding what I knew, and I guess I took that for granted!

I was assigned to the 46th Engineer Battalion. They were the unit that went into Vietnam, Iraq, to build the roads for the rest of the troops to fight on. We trained for war all the time. It was our mission to have everything we needed for our unit and the other three units that supported us, to the docks and aboard ship, ready to ship out in 72 hrs to go over seas and fight! We trained for this all the time and often spent 2 weeks or more in the field, sometimes once a month but, never more than 3 consecutive months went by that we were not in the field, sharpening our training! 

Anyway back to the subject at hand, while on a training mission in the field. This young man who was in my unit, knew I was an old country boy. He walks up and opens his hand and asks me. What kind of berries are these. Looking down I had to laugh. Boy, those aren't berries that is deer shit! That is the first time I realized how citified one person could be! We talked and he told me the only time he saw farm animals was in a zoo! I watched him pick a fight with another guy in the unit, all because he was from one side of Philly and the other guy from the other side of Philly.  I began to understand where his world was from!! 

So you see as a country boy I can see both sides of this fence. I know what it is too be raised around guns and knives and none of that scares me! But those that have lived for generation upon generation, in the city. They know only the city side of things. They are scared to death of the crime rate and now-days they have become the part of the generation, looking for the easy out on that crime.

They think if guns and knives are done away with well then everything is gonna be OK. What they don't see is they are missing part of the equation.To achieve the result they are wanting, (peaceful cohabitation). They have to get rid of the element that is too lazy to work and prays on everyone for their share of the pie. Learning to know your neighbors and not turning a blind eye to the criminal action you just witnessed or saying its not my problem or I am scared. That is exactly what the criminal element is counting on them doing!! Know your neighbors, watch over them and when you see something, say something, or you may very well be the next victim. 

Now the whole point of this was not to say because you are a country boy or a city boy,  that either one of you are right or wrong!! It's too show their are two sides to this and if neither side reach's out to other and both sides do not,...... keep an open mind, nothing will be solved!! Yep, they are scared and so,.......... political correctness becomes the way of stopping what they are afraid off. Their action is too say we won't have it on "our site".  Now that was the key words in that sentence, "their site" ! 

If you want to change how things are then you have to reach out on "your venue" and intelligently trying to express your opinion! I say this because you are not going to get any of them to listen, when you get your "county boy" on! I know because as soon as I slip over into that mode with my wife, her ear muffs go on and I might have, the absolute most sound argument you have ever heard but, she quit listening 30 minutes ago!!

Now I wrote this not to say the country boy is right or the city boy is wrong. I used that analogy to say, all of us want to be safe in our own homes and our lives. Realizing how to accomplish this comes with two trains of thought and I am not saying either one is right, or either one is wrong. There are two points of view out their and neither of them is going to reach the other with out first extending their hand and saying, can I talk to you for a minute!!! There is a time and place for that conversation and it is not here!

Those forums that morph over into political conversations or religious conversations are usually just a mess! While I may agree with it being a shame that this type of thing happens! If you don't want it to go in that direction, educating and talking with the other side, why you feel as you do is the only way you will change it!! Doing it on a forum that is dedicated to knife-making, is not a good idea!! We probably all agree with that sentiment!

Edited by C Craft
3 people like this

well said C Craft.

Not just the USA C Craft; the "modern world" I'm afraid.

C craft, I know just what you mean, I live in a big city but I don't hold its values. 

So here is my rant, it's not as well organized as C crafts but it has been burning in me for a few months now.

We as knifemakers have the power to give thought and understanding to those who "know" 

when you take from someone they have to take from someone else and there is no making in that endless cycle. 

And What can YOU make by taking? What ideas will you have? What happens when everything is taken and nobody can think for you?

by making and sharing our gift we can help others learn to make for themselves and share with others, if you cannot create ideas then you cannot create your life. 

It is beyond us and beyond knifemaking, it is all crafts, it is the idea of honesty. Not making things because somebody is trying to take things from you but making and sharing the ideas we have that give us our life so that others might have life too. 

These ideas and this life is in us all but that is what people are taking from each other, these things need time and they need to be nurtured to grow into something more than a hollow shell through which failed discarded dead ideas flow through from one person to the next.

Tools can never lie or steal or cheat, tools are utterly honest, tools carry the truth of all things and tools have the power to spread the truth of the universe. 

The blade or the brush, honest words or fantastic writing. We are the manipulators of many things as craftspeople, I am born again into a new light by the power of the blade, molded by the failings of dishonest tools and the truth that lies in the honest ones. 

So to say that a knife is bad is to say the truth is bad. And that's what I think about banning the sale of the vessel that carries our hearts and souls and nurtures the growth of thoughts and ideas, just because they "know" it's a weapon.

A weapon is only a weapon if used as such. The blade in the hands of a surgeon saves lives, the hammer (or any other tool) in the hands of the killer takes them.

Wow, to say that I'm intrigued is an understatement. Y'all have taken this thread to new levels, and I like the thought provoking ideas/opinions. Facebook is hit and miss for myself, I have never promoted anything on it, and I may not at risk of getting shut down. Thanks for sharing. 

On 5/20/2017 at 1:51 AM, Jon Cook said:

I am going to jump in here finally. I am off the Social Media Grid as one might say, other than this forum and a wood workers forum, but generally speaking of the big sites, i am off of those. 

From what i am hearing Instagram is a good tool for viewing and selling products, is this correct??? 

38 minutes ago, Chris C-S said:

I am going to jump in here finally. I am off the Social Media Grid as one might say, other than this forum and a wood workers forum, but generally speaking of the big sites, i am off of those. 

From what i am hearing Instagram is a good tool for viewing and selling products, is this correct??? 

As of right now, yes. It's owned by facebook, so it may change, sooner than later. 

Thanks @Austin_Lyles. I might make the plunge back into the world of social media again, purely for research and visibility reasons. I deleted FB due to all the nonsense etc on there. 

I made an Instagram account just to build an audience for when I have something worth selling. Hashtags are you friends, for sure. But, I did see a post recently that they are dropping accounts that use the same tags all the time lower in the search rankings. It's supposed to help stop spammers, but if you're tagging all your posts #knifesale, #custom, etc, it'll get you, too. Caveat emptor, I suppose.

Instagram for knifemakers was at its peak a year or two ago; they made some annoying changes but for the most part it's thriving still. The main plus is you can very quickly and easily take and post photos, and see other makers do the same, so there's a lot of communication going on. Customers also can see your professional photos as well as WIP shots. Very tight community especially.