• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
C Craft

Do you know where the DVD's can be bought??

What I am looking for is the following. 

Dvd - Custom Knife Sheaths with Chuck Burrows 2 disc set

Custom Knife Sheaths with Chuck Burrows 2 disc set

Since Chuck passed I can't find anywhere that is still selling the DVD's! Chuck was the master when it came to sheaths like this!

Image result for chuck burrows knife sheaths    Image result for chuck burrows knife sheaths    Image result for chuck burrows knife sheaths

He could make a knife and a sheath that looked like someone had went back in time in the "Way Back Machine" and brought it out with them! His passing took an effect with him that would be hard to duplicate!

I would have thought maybe the family would have kept producing the DVD's as the interest in work like his still continues today! However I have not found any place still selling the 2-DVD set, Custom Knife Sheaths!! So if anyone knows a source please let me know about it! Also does anyone know if the DVD's covered these frontier style sheaths??

Edited by C Craft
  • Like 1

Try Jantz supply: knifemaking.com

Description:

Step by step instructions for making a Hunter and Mexican Loop Sheath, a Snakeskin Inlay. Expert techniques on stamping and carving. Learn from start to finish how to make custom knife sheaths. Methods that make your work professional while giving beginners the knowledge to complete leather projects. DVD, 3 hours 55 minutes.

Edited by GEzell

Amazon UK has one left. Pretty pricey.

IMG_0534.JPG

EDIT: Use GEzell's recommendation. Much cheaper than here :o

Edited by Charles du Preez

Thanks Jim as soon as I saw your reply I went straight to Jantz and ordered it! I have been looking for a while and thought I had checked every knife supply but, somehow forgot Jantz. Thanks again!!

Thanks GEzell I have looked around and I maybe wrong but I am assuming that they condensed the two DVDs into one. At least from looking at the original adds and comparing time of both DVDs, it would be just about correct for the length!!

Edited by C Craft

This is a two-DVD set and worth every penny.

• Like 1

The later edition has been re-mastered on one DVD. This forum was not the only forum that I asked this question about the DVD's and I will refrence the following to that thread!

Now I will throw this out there for what it is worth! I was unaware of this at the time I ordered my copy of this DVD!!

Gene Osborne was the man who handled these instructional video's and books. I assume, (because I am not a 100% sure of his role) that he may have handled production and distribution of books and several videos for several makers, to sell to various companies, and with each sell,  a royaltie was to be paid to those who did the video and wrote the books.

With his (Gene Osborne) death, the contract on how the royalties were to be paid, was passed to his widow! Since that moment in time no royalties have been paid to the makers who shared there knowledge and time to make these instructional videos and write the instructional books! I do not know how many makers this involves but, I would say it might be quite a number! 

This is not right by any means and had I known I might have re-thought making the purchase. I already had the video in hand and opened before I knew of this! Sure I could send it back but, at this stage it is the distributor, (jantz Supply) that will pay the penalty for me doing that! They and other companies that handle these books and video's, may not even be aware of the fact the royalties are not being paid out properly! 

So in the future I will be checking to see what company or person is behind the selling of the videos and books that are out there for instructional knife making, before I make any more purchases!!! It is only because these are good and honorable men, as well as their respect for the man they made the deal with that so far this has not ended up in court somewhere! Anyway it is definately something I will have to think about in the future!

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?46305-Do-you-know-where-the-DVD-s-can-be-bought

Edited by C Craft

I know this isn't a DVD but just stumbled on this book on e-bay and thought you might like it @C Craft. No idea what it's like.

IMG_0550.PNG

• Like 1

I have actually seen this book and read some of it, ( friend had it and I borrowed it). A lot of the work is beading. I have tried my hand at beading and I am not cut out for it. My attempt at a small project gave me great appreciation for anyone that can do this. I would imagine if I had someone to show me in person it might be a little easier to do. My attempt at recreating the stitch with those little tiny beads had me saying things, that would not get you thru the pearly gates of Heaven.

You #%@&* , oh daY&*$ I broke the thread again, *&^%#. If you do not pull the stitch correctly, (too tight or too loose) it won't look right, or you break the thread, or with some beads you have to be sure they are all turned the same way or it don't look right!!! Even to those who do it, it is time consumeing at the very least!

I don't mind stitching up a sheath but beading is a whole different world!! I never even finished the small project I tried but I kept it,....... too look at in case I ever got the urge to try it again. That part of Chuck's work I seriously doubt I will ever be able to duplicate. LOL

Chuck did something to make his leather looked aged, on the sheaths like I pictured and it was quite a process from what I have been able to piece together. I know that is not in this DVD but he also done a lot of other style of sheaths and I hoping I can learn from that some of his techniques. I talked to him several times when he was still alive, and he was more than willing to help, as long as he wasn't divulging a secret of how he created his aged work. However every opportunity I got to talk with him of read something he had told someone else. Well I learned a little more of how he aged his pieces.

Sadly like so many things, that makers feel they can not share, it goes with them at their passing!!

1 hour ago, C Craft said:

Sadly like so many things, that makers feel they can not share, it goes with them at their passing!!

Sad indeed. I wonder how much knowledge has been lost through the ages due to this :(

On 5/26/2017 at 2:03 PM, Charles du Preez said:

Sad indeed. I wonder how much knowledge has been lost through the ages due to this :(

More than we can possibly imagine