Hot off the presses

Richard Furrer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you use the 50 or the press mostly to break it down from the button? I just had the press... found that patience was the key, just had to bump and prod away at it for maybe 6 or 8 heats, then it seemingly all-of-a-sudden would start to soften up and move, then it's a wonderfull material to work, forged very easy for me, I liked it alot.  Just had enough to kinda figure it all out work-wise, left me wanting more... I'll have to do a burn sometime.

Good stuff Rik.

32397[/snapback]

Hey, Randal, not meaning to cut in but that's exactly the feel I got - "Geez, what've I got myself into" working Greg's cake- think it was about heat 5 before things really started to move for me, before it was more like a dent here, a dent there.

Rick that is outstanding!  Those fittings are pretty scrumtious too!  Man.  Nice one.

32441[/snapback]

Yes they are. I had ordered them a long time ago and they came in the mail on a Sunday. I opened the cloth wrapping which had many colored stamps and twine,just like the old days, and out fell these fittings. I was happy.

Then all I had to do was make a sword to fit them.

Jake, Have you made up any blister steel yet? I would like to see one of your Celtic pieces with a blister steel blade.

As to Mike and Randal and such.............I used to have an open invite to my place, but them folk started showing up......I had to rethink the policy :unsure:

I will be working on the shop in tow weeks and hope to have thinks situated the end of Nov. Can we shoot for some time then?......beat the Xmas rush. It would be nice to get that IR heater installed before that though.

As to forging and ladders.

There was a great deal of scale and decarb on this ingot due to the time in the forge so when I dusted off the surface I cut the ladders. it was a thick bar. This may explain the distortion in the ladder and its present state.

I will do another where I cut them just prior to finish forging and see the difference. I have a small blade with great laddering, but can not remember what I had done to it.

As to forging:

I baby the ingots till 50% reduction. I have forged MANY MANY of these and I see no point in rushing till that point. I have more fractured ingots then I can count (or find for that matter as some I have given the distance test.......throwing out the back door of the shop)

There is a point when it acts like steel should and moves.

I used the 50 weight for the first hour or so then move to the press for light pressings (64-32 inch per).

Then to the rolling mill as soon as it fits.

This ingot run (made four that day) I did in conjunction with a student project at the Univ of Wisc Platteville where I cut samples as I forged and recorded the temps/reduction amounts and type of machine used. It took 64 heats to reduce 2 roundx3 into .38x2x9 minus the parts cut out as samples. The student did micrographs on the material.

That sword took about the same for twice the amount of material.

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

Jake, Have you made up any blister steel yet? I would like to see one of your Celtic pieces with a blister steel blade.

32449[/snapback]

Not yet, i'm still working on commissions, I've still got about four ahead of me not including what i'm working on now, So i'm hopeing to be back onto making stuff to sell in a few months. I'm looking for a prodject to do for a canada counsil grant, that might be just the thing. Making steel is definately on my 'to do' list ^_^

i've got some wootz from Greg Thomas Obach that I've forged a big curvy kind of tundra sword out of with an elk horn handle, I've gotten a couple looks at the pattern and its purty.

Anyway, keep up the good work Ric, to bad i missed you at Ashoken i need a transporter so I can beam to faraway places and forge stuff with friends... Maybe we should work on that :huh:

Awesome sword Ric! I don't know how I missed this thread for so long, man I'm letting every day get in the way too much I guess. Thanks for sharing the progress on this. The blade is beautiful, a fitting match for that gorgeous koftgari hilt!

Guy Thomas

• 2 months later...
Oh wow... cool work so far...

but tell me, and reveal to me the secret: WHERE... just where did you get a 3-pound leather mallet?? I mean I am hard put to find just any leather mallet at all... but a 3-pounder would be a dream :)

Daniel

32012[/snapback]

It's not easy to find rawhide mallets that small but it can be done, here's the manufacturer's website:

http://www.thorhammer.com/rawhideham.htm

I use size 2,3 and 4 copper/rawhide mallets:

http://www.thorhammer.com/coprawham.htm

What size is your mill, Ric? What size is the motor, diameter of the rolls and what speed do they rotate at?

cheers

Bob

38338[/snapback]

Its Blake and Johnson no. 5 which has a 15Hp motor and 4" diameter by 6 (5.75)" rolls. there is a series of gear reductions, but the end result is quite a bit of torque at 4" of steel through put per second.

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI