Hi Everyone. I've just been given a blower from a gas heating boiler. I am looking to replace the overpowered bouncy castle blower with this one once I've made a box but I have a question. The sticker says 240v but the wires look awfully thin for that kind of voltage. Are these things usually powered down elsewhere in the boiler unit or is this right?

Thanks for the help.

IMG_0538.JPGIMG_0539.JPGIMG_0540.JPG

They probably just designed the motor to use the power that is commonly available in the boilers in your part of the world.  If there is already 230v present in the system, it is easier just to use that voltage than it is to transform it to something else.

Just because it is a 230v motor doesn't mean that it is high power.  It is the power of the motor that drives up the diameter of the wire.   The more torque you need, the more current you have to pass through the motor.  The more current you have, the larger the wires need to be to keep from over heating.

It's only 60W according to the nameplate, so is only rated for 1/50th the current of a 3 kW kettle or heater (under a quarter of an Amp vs 13 Amps for the kettle or heater). Current carrying capacity is largely a function of cross-sectional-area, so skinny wires are not going to be a problem.

There's a lot of exposed electrical gubbins there. Make sure whatever you build is well Earthed (Grounded) and ensure it's run from an RCD-protected circuit (GFCI?). The RCD won't stop you getting a shock, but it will disconnect the power before it kills you. It's no substitute for common sense: if you drop or hurl a piece of hot steel whilst providing a path for 230VAC, the RCD won't put out the fire. 

Personally, I use RCD plugs (like the 44855 from Screwfix at under seven quid) on anything I cobble together to ensure that it WILL be RCD-protected.