• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  

Hello all, I am a novice looking for tools and any knowledge offered. If anyone near upstate South Carolina or neighboring states has anything they could sell and part ways with, please let me know. Thanks!

A couple things I have learned is that tools made for wood dont work so great with steel.

For example the 2x 42 grinder I bought goes a little too fast. Its not bad with 60 grit...but anything 220 and up I get blade bump.

I tried to put a bi metal blade on my dads old band saw and it would hardly even scratch metal.

I was convinced they gave me a wrong blade......but again its too fast/made for wood.

I am sure its the first of many learning curves for me....good luck with it and have fun.

Also check out car boot sales (are they called that in the US?), flea markets, second hand and pawn shops, recycling centres. You'd be amazed what people throw away.

39 minutes ago, Charles du Preez said:

Also check out car boot sales (are they called that in the US?), flea markets, second hand and pawn shops, recycling centres. You'd be amazed what people throw away.

That is a part of the plan. The biggest flea market around here though operates on a Wednesday.....not to convenient with work.

That's a pity. My vice is from a skip. My hammers mostly from a car boot sale. Some bits from a scrap recycling centre.

try facebook marketplace i just added a rolling tool cart and a small motor lift that im going to bolt in to the bed of my truck for grabbing heavy stuff to my tools for not a lot of money and not long ago i got a working small bandsaw for a steal

Check the ABANA Affiliates page.  You find ABANA chapters there, who you can contact.  Lots of them offer classes that you can take, and can possibly put you in touch with members that might be selling blacksmithing gear.

On 05/25/2017 at 9:56 PM, Wes Detrick said:

Check the ABANA Affiliates page.  You find ABANA chapters there, who you can contact.  Lots of them offer classes that you can take, and can possibly put you in touch with members that might be selling blacksmithing gear.

Thanks!

So, step one and a half out of the way. Went to NC today and bought an anvil, hammer and a couple pair of tongs. It's an 88lb Paragon. Great rebound. The Gentleman I bought it from had a slew of them. He has been blacksmithing for 30 years. Has a lot of knowledge he offered me to tap at any time! Good day today..

I would imagine so. He seems to always be buying and selling. You can find him on craigslist.