Sept. 29 - Oct.1

Looks like I'll be reloading my program from last year which I had to cancel because of the dreaded wild parsnip (seriously)  Wild Parsnip Caution

So I'll give a slide-talk :  Opening to the Far-Green: Imagination and the creative process  

and a demo: Cold Forming Copper Fittings Using Uchidashi

Tim should be announcing the rest of the program soon, but I wanted to get the dates up here ASAP. Hope a lot of you can make it. Always a good time.

I would love to come along but think I will be making the sword year a reocuring theme, hopefully see you there in 3 years.

21 hours ago, owen bush said:

I would love to come along but think I will be making the sword year a reocuring theme, hopefully see you there in 3 years.

I was sorely vexed to miss you guys last year...

• 1 month later...

I was told a while ago that this is the lineup. Haven't got the official announcement.

So far we have:

Tim Wright
Kevin Cashen
Sam Salvati
Justin Mercier
Rick Barrett
Jim Kelso
Josiah Boomershine (maybe)
Tim Zowada (Maybe)
Plus a couple more...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll post a link to the registration asap:

Schedule:

Friday, September 29

After 2:00 PM! Arrive at Ashokan, registration, unload gear.

4:00-5:00            Set-up forging areas                                                                                                            Pavilion and Tent

5:00-6:00            Happy Hour Open Bar                                                                                                                        Lobby

6:00-7:00             Buffet Dinner

7:00-7:15             Introduction                                                                                                                                     Lecture

7:158:30             Viking Spears and Construction – Justin Mercier                                                                        Lecture

8:3012:00            Open Forge                                                                                                                                     Pavilion

Saturday, September 30

8:00 - 9:00             Breakfast

9:00 - 10:00             How to Make a Living as a Knife Maker Without Becoming a Weasel II – Kevin Cashen            Lecture                       

10:00 - 11:00             Blade Forging – Sam Salvati                                                                                                            Tent

11:00 - 12:00             Forge Welding – Justin Mercier                                                                                                            Tent

12:00 - 1:00             Opening to the Far-Green: Imagination and the Creative Process – Jim Kelso                                    Lecture

1:00 - 2:00             Lunch

2:00 - 3:00             Fundamentals of Mechanical Accuracy – Tim Wright                                                                        Lecture

3:00 - 4:00             Hands On Class in Comparing Combat Knife Design – Bill McGrath                                                Tent

Learn  knife katas to see how form follows function.                                                                        Tent

4:00 - 5:00             How to Grind Forged Blades Like a Stock Remover – Kevin Cashen                                                Tent

5:00 - 6:00             Cold Forming Copper Fittings Using Uchidashi – Jim Kelso                                                            Lecture

6:00 - 7:00             Dinner           

7:00 - 8:00             Kitchen Knife Theory – Nick Rossi                                                                                                Lecture

8:00 - 9:00             Salt Bath Heat Treatment – Tim Zowada                                                                                    Pavilion

9:0012:00            Open Forge                                                                                                                                     Pavilion

Sunday, October 1

Check out of bunk areas before 9:00 AM!

8:00 - 9:00             Breakfast

9:00 - 10:00             Fitting Guards and Handles – Nick Rossi                                                                                    Lecture

10:00 12:00            Knife Display and Show                                                                                                             Dining Hall

12:00-1:00             Lunch

1:00-2:00            Pack-up and clean-up forging areas

2:00                        Departure

I won't be able to make it this year....

:(

But I should be able to next!

to much family stuff going on.

-Gabriel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2017 at 4:47 PM, grpaavola said:

I won't be able to make it this year....

:(

But I should be able to next!

to much family stuff going on.

-Gabriel

...next thing you'll tell me is your appendix is trying to kill you,  you or something...

:D

wish you were going to be there, bud.

• Like 1

I suppose i should ask Kelly or whoever else may know what type of forge I'll be doing the welding demo in at the "tent"  if its propane or coal =)  I'll be doing a tricky non-linear wolfstooth forge weld and i want to practice this month with the right fuel and make sure my tools and material are all set before hand =)  In theory it'll be easier to weld it in coal, but in my shop I mostly just use propane =)

ZOMG so many things to do and catch up on, but I have a commitment that weekend. :(

Have fun, Jim, and everyone else!

On 8/31/2017 at 1:27 PM, Matt Gregory said:

...next thing you'll tell me is your appendix is trying to kill you,  you or something...

:D

wish you were going to be there, bud.

Now that my murderous, backstabbing, organ has been dealt with, I hope to at least start posting more on here. 

Sorry I been away! Anybody miss me?

-with every bullet so far I guess :lol:

-Gabriel