Sign in to follow this  
ScottWright

Kith finally started WIP

I have had zero time to even start the forge over the last 2 to 3 months partially due to my hand injury and life in general. My goal is for a kiritsuke style knife. I'm hoping to incorporate a san mai design. I'll post more pictures as they come. Core of the blade is ?5160, it is forged from train spring, I love using it even though it is a pain but it hardens quite wonderfully so, to about 3/8" then I cleaned it up. I cleaned what I believe is mild steel, but the person who gave it to me says it is wrought fencing 1/4" thick. Doesn't appear to be though after I cut it. I welded the billet up to be forged but am currently suffering from tank freezing issues so that's it for today. It felr great to be back hammering.

So can not get photos to upload will try again in a bit.

Sounds good.  I'm looking forward to the pictures!

Don't mind my awful welding job I'm still learning.

20170529_134259.jpg

20170529_134306.jpg

20170529_140735.jpg

Well what I felt was going to happen did and the weld did not take. Not the end of the world but I was really hoping. So at this point I will be sticking to a single steel. I have it rough forged to shape and it is cooling over night. Hopefully I have the time to at least rough grind tomorrow. Hopefully heat treat. The tang is forged thinner as it will be hidden just didn't take a photo. 

20170604_161942.jpg

20170604_161951.jpg

Well very bad news... I started to do the rough grind and came across some what appeared to be small cracks. Needless to say they were worse than first imagined. I continued grinding until the distance from spine to edge became to small for it to be a useable knife and the cracks still exsist. Back to the start. I'm currentlt waiting on steel in the mail, keeping my fingers crossed I will have the time to get this finished by the 1st. New blade will not be mystery but 52100. Top photo is the edge, bottom is the spine.

20170607_190729.jpg

20170607_190723.jpg

Been awhile. Finally got started back, I received some 52100, which is the new knife. Anyway it is now forged out rough ground, except for the bevels which were rough forged in. I got it cleaned and covered with layout blue today and scribed in my bevel lines. Hopefully will get those ground in tomorrow morning after work.

20170613_115701.jpg

20170705_113558.jpg

20170711_125901.jpg

• Like 1

Ooooo Thats a nice K tip kinda shape. It looks sharp even at this stage, :P