Sign in to follow this  
Timothy Artymko

KITH WIP 9" Japanese style knife

I previously posted a knife that was my 'backup' KITH knife in case I didn't get time to actually forge and make a much nicer piece, but lo and behold I found some time and I should be able to complete this one! I started with a piece of 1095 and I plan on putting a nice hamon on this one. I forged the preform more or less to shape and did a little refining after forging to get a long pointy kiritsuke style sujihiki knife. 

The preform:

IMG_20170530_151832030.jpg

After profile grinding:

IMG_20170530_154041899.jpg

Looking good.  I see you even put that nice new vice to work :)

Thanks! And yes ;) that vise is now in for permanent work! The jaws were welded, so it is a little crooked on the close, but that is the old farmers fault, not the quality of the vise. I need to get this one finished fast though xD otherwise I will forget about it until the end of June!

So this is becoming a little PHOTO HEAVY for those who might have trouble viewing it all, but I wanted to really document more than I normally do for educational sakes because I am pushing my own limitations on "clean" and I want to show others how I am making it there. Anywho, onto the pictures ;) 

I used a medium round file to mark the ares that are going to be my shoulders so that when I go to the grinder, I don't end up migrating. 

IMG_20170531_184553313.jpg

And the knife after 10 minutes with the angle grinder, I like to grind it as much as I can with the angle grinder because a) the scale dulls abrasives and b.) grinding disks are cheaper and last longer!

IMG_20170531_192512833.jpg

And then 15 minutes later, it's all clean, flat, and ready for higher grit!

IMG_20170531_200006913_HDR.jpg

As added accents on this piece, I added these 30 degree bevels on either side of the choil and ricasso and also added them to the spine to show that the blade is not straight on the top, but rather flat with the ricasso and then tapers down to the tip.

IMG_20170531_200721693.jpgIMG_20170531_201400606.jpg

And that's all for right now! I was working on that last night, I hope to get it ground up to 220 grit today and then get out my clay to hamon it up!

• Like 3

So all was good and well until I tried to straighten it after the temper, yeah, not to self, next time just put it in for an extra hour before straightening. On the good side of things, the 1095 took a nice little hamon and the blade had a wonderful grain and is hard as hell! 

I know I know, it looks really small, but it is still has a 5" blade and will make a great meat slicing knife. So I thought, I have some 1084 and I will make another knife to go with this one, but it will be a 6" nakiri knife for all the vegetables ;) I guess you could say that this one never wanted to cut veggies! This is all part of stretching one's self, learning from our mistakes and never stopping!

IMG_20170601_144121879.jpg

IMG_20170601_152520629.jpg

Bummer about the break, but it still looks great.

I forged out another knife for my entry because of my catastrophic straightening (woops!). This Nakiri is about 2.25" wide and 6.5" long in the blade. I started with 1/8" 1084 stock and then forged in my bevels and spine, so it's already quite thin and light. I have been using just 1095 and W2 with hamons for a while now, so the heat treat on this should be really quick and easy compared to that. Stay tuned!

IMG_20170602_152120274.jpg

• Like 1

That sucks about the break. I know the feeling of failure and it is a bittersweet learning experience. Looking forward to seeing this new blade finished thougj, looking good so far.

The Nakiri looks great so far. WA Style handle coming up i see... 

I heat treated my blade yesterday and threw it in the tempering oven... and promptly forgot about it until 7 this morning, so it got a solid 18 hours at 375 F. But after some testing, I can say it's still hard and it seems my ht is pretty good. I will say it's a little softer than normal (56-58 vs. 60-62 HRC) but it's not soft at all. The edge is currently at 0.015" and it left some nasty cuts into the 3/16 bar and chopped through a 1x4 without a problem. I am thinking I will use some combination of copper, wenge, and maple (or lacewood?) for the handle.  Pictures soon..... 

I've got my handle ready to go and the blade ready for a polish, so I will have this done in time for sure, pictures to come...

After the tempering I noticed that the blade has a slight twist to it... which almost had it going to the scrap bin, but the edge is straight, so the spine looks a little funny, but it's 100% usable and it's just a result of trying new things :| Anyways, onto the pictures.

IMG_20170622_190343280.jpg IMG_20170621_191622269.jpg

The handle before and after shaping and also the blade before and after polishing. 

IMG_20170622_190522244.jpgIMG_20170622_190527519.jpg

It's a two faced blade because I made it asymmetrical in the first place as a right handed type blade, but it has even bevels so either hand could use it effectively. I put a clean 400 grit polish on the blade. The handle is lacewood and padauk with some vulcanized paper for a spacer. The shape is a squished hexagon with broken corners for ease of use. It's a function and colorful blade, and sharp as hell! I will get a few more pictures up when the handle is finished oiling and everything is ready to ship!

5 hours ago, Timothy Artymko said:

...looks a little funny, but it's 100% usable

That what my wife says about me...

This looks like a great mirepoix dicer!

I think all wives say something like that...... 

And it certainly is a great dicer! I am sad to see this one go, because I could use it in my own kitchen!