Your thoughts on my design/concept

Hey everyone,

I wanted to show you a knife concept that I worked on for quite a while. I have designed 4 different types of bevels, not sure which one to pick although i tend to favorize the bottom left.

Im just hoping for some feedback, input about the functionality of the whole thing and/or the grinds, and the overall asthaetics - maybe someone can help me to improve it!

Cheers.

Varianten.png

Edited by Jonas Liebel
  • Like 1

I think your aesthetics are fine; any of those will make a fine knife. What is the function of your proposed knife? That will affect the design.....

I say use the handle from the top left, blade from the top right, but with a choil :)

I agree with Jacob, plus get rid of the bit that juts down past the edge.  It breaks the flow and gets in the way.  Just my opinion, of course! B)

• Like 1

I prefer the top right. I also think it might look nice if you dropped the the point a bit so it lines up more with the center of the handle.

Thank you guys for your feedback!

steve, it is supposed to be an allround outdoor knife. Im not entirely sure what grind i should choose, Im going to use 3.5 mil O1 Steel, so I dont know if the top right style isn't too thin at the end... Or could I compensate that by simply giving the edge a little more thickness?:huh:

@Shane Yes this does have a similar look to it! Good to know it performs well :)

@Jacob the choil will be on every design, just forgot to put it on every blade ^^ 

@Alan Hm, i never thought about it ruining the flow. I wanted to implement some kind of guard, but youre right, maybe it would be enough to leave that section at the width of the blade...

@D.Giagni I will try that! Thats an idea I had not thought of, I hope I still like the blade shape after that

20 hours ago, Jonas Liebel said:

@Alan Hm, i never thought about it ruining the flow. I wanted to implement some kind of guard, but youre right, maybe it would be enough to leave that section at the width of the blade...

You can use the choil to make a good looking transition to the blade and still keep the pseudo-guard (plus it makes sharpening nicer). Adding a groove for the first finger is another way to add some security without increasing width too much. 

13 hours ago, jheinen said:

I'm curious, what software do you use to produce those drawings? 

I use Gimp, it takes a while to get used to it, but it is brilliant once you have understood its features

Aiden, I definetely want to implement a choil, but i chose the rounded handle shape without a finger groove on purpose, and I personally like the "pseudo - guard" :)

Personally, I prefer the handle on the top left, with either grind on the right. I agree with dropping the point a little.

If I were looking for a general Bushcraft knife, I think I'd gravitate towards bottom right. More mass to whack on. If I wanted a skinner/cooking knife, probably top right, maybe with a swedge. My knife use is mostly killing boxes, and food prep like deboning chickens and apples, so salt to taste, there.