nprovos

Forging a "Viking" Broad Seax

It's been a while since I had anything to post but I have been catching up on my video. Here is the current progress on a broad seax:

This has not been a straightforward as I would have liked - future episodes will show me reforging and tapering the nozzle of my forced air propane burner :)

Let me know what you think.

Ps: Some of you may also be interested in my Patreon experiment: https://www.patreon.com/nielsprovos

• Like 4

nprovos, love these videos and I always learn something every time I watch one of your video'S

In your video I think I heard you say you were using wrought iron from,  1887 Globe Elevator near the Duluth-Superior Harbor. I had to go back and listen to that part a couple of times. I bought some of that Globe Elevator wrought back in 2008. I think it was!

If that is correct that the wrought is from there, it might explain why I have had some, (not so good luck) when trying to forge it. Not to mention I do not have a power hammer, just and anvil and hammer. Is there a suggestion you might make about forging this wrought by hand!

Edited by C Craft

That wrought iron is really difficult to work with. I usually need to do extra refining and forge welding to make it usable. The phosphorous makes for great contrast but you cannot really forge it. I have had much better luck forging old wagon tires.

ive been following this with interest. Thanks for your continued hard work Neils. :)

Here is the next video - watch me screw it up :-(

• Like 3

Thanks Niels. I always sit enthralled by your videos. Very relaxing and enjoyable.

I was really enjoying watching these, right up to the point the flaw was found... Heartbreaking.  This is one of the reasons I haven't been using as much wrought iron lately...

The high-phosphorous wrought iron etches really nicely but has also been giving me a lot of trouble later. I literally destroyed 3 swords in a row until I finally discovered the problem.

*drum roll*

I had been using my current blown forge for 4+ years and diligently rebuild the lining every 6 - 12 months. I never considered looking at the tuyere. It turned out that the opening had gradually enlarged to a degree where my air mix just was always too high. After forging the it back down to a smaller diameter things seem better. I just forge-welded an Illerup Adal kids' sword and it looks like the welds are holding. So, I may have the confidence to get back to the broad seax. On the other hand, I am out of 1075 now and have not been able to order new stock.

BTW, I got a number of really negative comments on my slight dig on Forged in Fire. Really surprising.

Lame!  That sucks that the wrought didn't weld up all the way.  I was enjoying those videos and the process.  But so it goes.

23 minutes ago, nprovos said:

BTW, I got a number of really negative comments on my slight dig on Forged in Fire. Really surprising.

I can't say that I am surprised that people were being turds about it.  You made a mildly negative comment about 3 hour time limit, which to any normal person is nothing, but to the trolls on Youtube is a grievous sin.

I enjoyed the videos

myself, i like to weld up the wrought packet first as it requires a good high heat, then weld on the steel edge last at lower temp

Gutted for you Niels. Glad you found the problem though. Looking forward to the next video. Thanks.

Been there, done that, got the pieces of sword blade... :lol:  Love the videos, Niels. Don't let the trolls get you down.  All my rheumatologist wants to talk to me about is Forged in Fire, and I have a hard time explaining the reasons bladesmiths have the relationship we do with that show.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 7:41 PM, nprovos said:

Not really surprising when you remember that most people take themselves waaaay too seriously and have little or no sense of humor. Armchair armorers that that butt nugget make me laugh. I love your videos and the FIF digger was mild.

I always love your videos, a fact you do not try to hide the problems you do have impresses me even more.

If we didn't make mistakes we would not be pushing the boundaries of our knowledge. I think I make enough for 10 bladesmiths..

For those of you who followed this saga, I ended up with 4 swords in the trash can:

Here is attempt #5 which seems to be going well so far:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nprovos said:

For those of you who followed this saga, I ended up with 4 swords in the trash can

If that isn't a calling card for this craft then nothing is.  I am glad you are keeping at it Niels, I enjoy the videos.

I have a few floating around as well.  :rolleyes:

Love the videos!  That last one in HDR really allows the forging colors to look more like reality.

Rasenfrasen restricted videos at work :angry: