Sign in to follow this  
MacKINNON

Hybrid Axe

I designed and created this axe as a prop for a  movie that has been stuck in a production financing loop for two years.

The brief was for a light weight, woman's weapon, ostensibly Norse but with Asian and Polynesian design aspects. The script required a weapon that could be made relatively quickly in a time of conflict and by a disparate group of people from several cultures. 
    The head is a symmetric wrap with a 1070 welded edge. The flat wire inlay ( Hira Zogan technique) are fine silver, copper and brass. The edge was given Maori 'gut hook' piercing and engraving in their styles of double spirals. The handle is poplar. I needed a very white wood for contrast and as the piece was a 'Hero' prop, and only to be used for close-up and marketing shots, it seemed expedient ( and fast as I had it in shop ). 

I chose to add a sabre grip in red leather ( Chinese aesthetic) , twist wire wrapped and a back strap in iron. Purely because the idea had been bouncing around in my mind for some time and I finally had someone to pay for an 'experiment'. Props, even Hero pieces, are generally done under time duress so I didn't take too long on this as inlaying wire is a slow process.  I wanted the piece to feel 'tight',  like a close fighting weapon and the original design called for a much more curved handle. This proved to be less practical than envisaged ( Yes, I still actually believe movie weapons should work !) so I uncurled it a little. The black ferrules are Buffalo horn, hot formed over the wooded grip.

I took the finished snaps literally minutes before it was boxed and sent out so they are poor ( not that I am any sort of photographer).

Edited by MacKINNON
  • Like 3

Wow, that is awesome!! 

• Like 1

Love the embellsihments on the blade.

• Like 2

This is a beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Nice job and excellent concept!

• Like 1

That is pretty neat.  I hope the movie gets done so I can see it on screen :)

• Like 1