Posted (edited)

Heck, I live 10 miles outside of a town and my electricity goes out all the time. Sometimes its 4 hours, sometimes 45 minutes, many times more.   Last ice-storm we had, it was out for 5 days.  So you don't have to live in "paradise" to lose power. :D  Thing is it doesn't bother me all that much......................except with no electricity, we have no water pump.  No well water, no flushy-de-toilets !  That's no fun.

Edited by Chris Christenberry

Couple of 5 gal buckets with lids, add a splash of bleach and you'll have water for the toilet.  Not counting the hot water heater, I store both drinking and general use water, enough for at least a few days.  If it's longer then that, the heater is 34 gallons.  Plus most of the time, bad weather means the creek is flowing and that's my primary toilet water source.

• Like 1

I can run the well pump off of my construction site generator if I need to. Heck, I can probably run the whole house off of that generator!

5 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

except with no electricity, we have no water pump.  No well water, no flushy-de-toilets !  That's no fun.

That's why I designed the well system the way I did.

5 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Couple of 5 gal buckets with lids, add a splash of bleach and you'll have water for the toilet.  Not counting the hot water heater, I store both drinking and general use water, enough for at least a few days. 

Always a good idea to have a backup plan. Like I said, it's a lifestyle choice that doesn't appeal to most folks.

Oh, it appeals to me, Josh.   But I'm just about 35 years older than I'd want to be when starting on a project like that.

• Like 1

That’s wonderful Josh. It does look like paradise. Great wildlife in your backyard.

• Thanks 1

beautiful elk in the last pic 

the view would be perfect to forge with, watching animals come and go and all.

thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from a few days of tree thinning for the power lines and finishing up the well house. (except the stairs)

Finished 1.jpg

The redwood deck is intended for firewood storage, but Liz seems to think it would make a better Yoga platform.

Seems 6"x12" works for her.

Finished 2.jpg

Speaking of Liz, here she is using her newest favorite tool., the battery powered pole chainsaw.

She cleared a lot of dead branches off the trees and helped cut the path for the power lines.

Liz 1.jpg

Liz 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I swear that retirement is more work than when you 'worked' for a living! I am constantly clearing, mowing or building on our spread near Austin. My wife asked me the other day, "When will I just stop for a while and enjoy it?" I told her that while I may be bitching about the next thing I have to do, that is my joy. As long as I am healthy and staying active, we are both more blessed than most. She just smiled. 

20160416_184318(0).jpg

NO you jokers, my wife ain't no horse. 

• Like 2

Your place is beautiful! Nice trees and I'll bet a lot cooler in the summertime. I'm in Arizona right now and it's crazy hot. I won't even walk out to the forge or the wood shop for the next couple of weeks. Does it snow there? Please post some snow pics if you got them, I need to feel cooler, if only in my mind.

@Ken Woodward Where in AZ are you? I'm in New River.

You want snow pics? Sure I have snow pics!

These are a couple a friend of mine sent Dec 2018.

Snow 2 V2.jpg

Snow 1 V2.jpg

This is one of my trail cam pics, on my lot, right in front of where the shop will be. The date is wrong. It's last winter.

Elk 2 V2.jpg

Posted (edited)

Yeah. It would have been perfect. When the time comes, I have 5 acres to build a blind on, set a tree stand, plant an apple tree......

Edited by Joshua States

Josh, I need to talk with someone who has control of this site.  We desperately need a "green with envy" emoji! :o

• Thanks 1

I just got back from a few days on "The Ranch". I was supposed to be in Madison WI for a bi-annual reunion, but the plague nixed that idea. We left the camper-trailer out there last time. When I opened up the battery compartment to install the battery, This is what I found.

Bird nest.jpg

No eggs, so it went away. Liz stuck it in a small pine close by. I figure it was abandoned.

We don't have many juniper trees, but this one is a good size and the berries are plentiful this year.

Juniper (1).jpg

Juniper (2).jpg

The turkeys were all around us at nightfall and early morning. Here's a hen that was strolling by the lot next door.

Hen Turkey.jpg

We spotted this 5x5 buck by the side of the road .

5X5 Buck.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just spent a few days out there again. Needed to meet the grading guy, a masonry/foundation guy, and clear some more land area up. Saturday night a flock of hen turkeys came in to roost in the trees.

Group shot 1.jpg

They came right in to about 10 yards of where we sat.

Group shot 2.jpg

I also took a cell phone video of a few of them taking off and roosting. (works fastest with GOOGLE as the browser)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LczeW3mxlDh7VrNx9dVGFEHBmnnydnvC/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1