Emiliano Carrillo

A Sword Fit For a King

Holy &^%*&^$*$  that is gorgeous. 

your love of the work shows man, and many of the pieces you have posted in the past have been inspiring.

Now to go take advantage of Weekend 2.0 ( Kids went home to their mother last night, and I have the next 2 days off. ) and get my KITH finished, some blades sharpened, and well now I really want to fix my wee lil 5160/15n20 billet sitting on my bench so I can start doing something cooler then just monosteel functional types. 

Grats Emiliano, It might only be lunchtime here in Utah, But I raise a glass and salute you on your skills and accomplishments. 

On 6/19/2017 at 9:13 PM, Luke Shearer said:

Emiliano This is world-class stuff! Awesome accomplishment. What are you gonna do with the sword?

Thanks Luke :) I'm glad you like it brother! I'm not sure yet, keep it for a while but then sell it if I get a good enough offer one day! 

On 6/22/2017 at 10:07 AM, mrnewberry said:

Great work!

Thanks Allen!

Edited by Emiliano Carrillo

On 7/3/2017 at 2:59 PM, Robert D. said:

Holy &^%*&^$*$  that is gorgeous. 

your love of the work shows man, and many of the pieces you have posted in the past have been inspiring.

Now to go take advantage of Weekend 2.0 ( Kids went home to their mother last night, and I have the next 2 days off. ) and get my KITH finished, some blades sharpened, and well now I really want to fix my wee lil 5160/15n20 billet sitting on my bench so I can start doing something cooler then just monosteel functional types. 

Grats Emiliano, It might only be lunchtime here in Utah, But I raise a glass and salute you on your skills and accomplishments. 

Thanks Robert! 

I'm really happy that my passion comes through in the work that I've made. I hope the weekend went well and you were able to get some good work done! It's five O clock somewhere right? :D

On 7/11/2017 at 8:48 PM, peter fontenla said:

Great job Emiliano !! Congratulations

Thanks Peter! 

• Like 1

Looks beautiful!

On 9 June 2017 at 4:39 AM, Emiliano Carrillo said:
Only one smith has been foolhardy  brave enough to attempt this blade, and it's none other than my great friend Jesus Hernandez.

Perhaps, but if you should ever want to try a recreation of the Vehmaa sword again, you might pick up some tips here;

Edited by Dan P.

This is so fantastic and wonderful that it's hard to come up with a compliment worthy of the work, the writing and the whole process. Your work, your attitude and your thinking is an inspiration. Thank you for making this and continuing the spreading of knowledge and skill in this modern age. It looks like that sword is a pleasure to hold.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 11:39 AM, Emiliano Carrillo said:
IMG_6499.jpg

IMG_6527.jpg

IMG_6529.jpg

IMG_6530.jpg

IMG_6531.jpg

I had finished the blade but any good blade needs a handle! I contacted my friend Matt and asked if he would be willing to make the fittings for the blade. He agreed and I sent him a photo that was included in a huge set of files from the National Museum of Sweden that he had previously sent me. The museum took wonderful photos of the sword from Vallstenarum. This was the hilt I wanted for my sword and so Matt created beautiful waxes based exactly on the original. The hilt is from a burial in Gotland and features a fabricated and rather botched ring assembly that was certainly not original to the sword. 
350877.jpeg

Matt began carving and in an unimaginably small amount of time was able to craft all of the parts needed for the sword and cast them. 
IMG_6521.jpg

I went over to his house and we began fitting, drilling, filing, polishing, and assembling all of the parts. We did a huge amount of work and then I took most of the grip home to create the wooden components while Matt finished the pommel assembly. 
IMG_6541.jpg

I carved the wooden grip and when I came back a few days later, we spent an afternoon finishing the sword. I had crafted a makeshift sheath which turned out to be hugely helpful in letting us hold the sword for finishingIMG_6606.jpg

I brought the sword home and began finishing the sheath and the small details so that it would be ready for my gallery show. I forgot to mention I also put together a gallery show for my thesis! That was a lot of work. IMG_6631.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg
IMG_6667.jpg
IMG_6677.JPG

Wow! This is incredible! That sword deserves to be in a medieval blockbuster movie. :)

Edited by Dan Morrows
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 8:15 AM, Josh A Weston said:

This is so fantastic and wonderful that it's hard to come up with a compliment worthy of the work, the writing and the whole process. Your work, your attitude and your thinking is an inspiration. Thank you for making this and continuing the spreading of knowledge and skill in this modern age. It looks like that sword is a pleasure to hold.

Thanks so much Josh! Your words are received warmly and with much happiness! It is my greatest joy in this craft to share whatever I can, and it is even better when people enjoy the work! 

On 7/31/2017 at 6:41 PM, Dan P. said:

Perhaps, but if you should ever want to try a recreation of the Vehmaa sword again, you might pick up some tips here;

Yours was actually one of the first references to work I had seen anyone do with this sword. Your inlay method was quite clean and I enjoyed seeing it very much! I am sad that you did not continue the project, or at least did not share it here with us! I didn't mean to insult or slight you, but as far as I'm aware Jesus was the only to finish such a sword since the original! 

On 13 September 2017 at 1:59 AM, Emiliano Carrillo said:

Yours was actually one of the first references to work I had seen anyone do with this sword. Your inlay method was quite clean and I enjoyed seeing it very much! I am sad that you did not continue the project, or at least did not share it here with us! I didn't mean to insult or slight you, but as far as I'm aware Jesus was the only to finish such a sword since the original! 

There are photos showing the rough ground and etched blade toward the end of the thread I linked. To my knowledge it was the first and perhaps the only successful attempt to recreate the pattern (or at least a "proof of concept" for the most significant elements) since the original was forged in the 8th century.

Jesus' effort was a different method of construction to the original. I don't believe he was going for a strict reconstruction.

Edit; Patrick Barta has also recreated the Vehmaa sword. If you aren't familiar with his work, he is, in my opinion, one of the foremost smiths recreating these kinds of swords.

Edited by Dan P.

First post....

Your work forced me to register and comment.

Wow, remarkable and inspirational.

This is so inspiring!! I wonder how many of us are going to start looking at our stuff with a more critical eye after seeing this. You attention to detail is amazing. Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing.