Bald and smith

I like those welder's caps DBain linked, you can get them in some pretty wild patterns and colors if that's your thing. I have a good-sized bald spot at the top rear of my head, and I have not had any trouble with sparks or scale.  Do you forge with charcoal?  That I have had problems with the sparks getting on my head (and everywhere else).  When I'm working in charcoal I wear a hat with a brim that goes all the way around.  That keeps the sparks from falling on my ears or down the back of my neck as well as on top of my head.  But yes, a cotton bandana is fine (you may have noticed I'm wearing one in my avatar photo).  Add a gold earring and you have the bonus of looking all pirate-like! ;)

Ball caps work just fine for me...when I get frustrated I just turn the cap sideways or backwards

x2 on the welder/pipefitter caps; bandanas soak through with sweat too fast....I keep a couple of caps around, so one is drying while wearing the other, then switch when drips start running down on my glasses.

Nice :) thanks guys - Alan yes I forge with Charcoal, often i have a lot of small pieces and dust and that sparks alot... But being a cheap I use it aswell :P. Think I'll try the bandana, or maybe buy a hat -  what fabrics are good for hats ?

3 hours ago, Troels Saabye said:

:D don't think I want to grow that amount of scar tissue on my scalp, bandana it is then. Now I just have to find one that doesn't have weird symbols and quotes on them

Or get you killed my a rival gang :D

I personally go for the bandanna in hot weather, or my old and well worn wool packer hat in the cold months. All those folks with hair have no clue how much it protects them from. :)

• Like 1