Collin Miller

Trewhiddle Seax

The Trewhiddle Seax and its sheath are finally complete! This is a knife I've had in the back burner for a while now, working on it nights and weekends. I intended to keep it for myself because I like it so much, but decided to sell it instead. 
The blade was forged and ground from a wrought iron and 80crv2 San Mai. The bolster is copper that I forged, and filed to shape, and ornamented with geometric designs. The grip was carved from boxwood given to me by Emiliano Carrillo. There were only one or two pieces that were big enough to make handles from, so I am only using them on special knives like this one. 
The carvings on the grip are all inspired by artifacts from the Trewhiddle hoard. 
The sheath is of riveted construction, with tooling to compliment the grip. The fittings, rivets, and suspension ring were all forged from copper by myself. The ring I forged to an octagon cross section and tied so that it would be much stronger than a butted ring. 

Thanks for looking! I was really happy with the way this one came together. It tried to fight me at times, but in the end it turned out very well. 

trewhiddle6.jpg

trewhiddle34.jpg

trewhiddle56.jpg

trewhiddle67.jpg

• Like 4

Great work Collin.  I am really loving your steel and that sheath.  Both are gorgeous!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wes Detrick said:

Great work Collin.  I am really loving your steel and that sheath.  Both are gorgeous!

Thanks Wes! The sheath came out surprisingly well, considering that I'd never made a seax sheath before and leather work has never been my strong point. I had to forge that chape from 1/4" thick copper, because I didn't have any copper sheet that was big enough. The enormous clunky domed rivets were a lot of fun, too.

Very nice knife, there is a lot to like about this one. 

I really love those big sheath rivits and the boxwood carving.

• Like 1

Well done!  I particularly like the blade, that is some nice iron.

• Like 1

Kudos Collin, great looking pieces.

• Like 1

that is inspirational. I think the blade and also the sheath really elevate that one. Great job!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pieter-pauld said:

Very nice knife, there is a lot to like about this one. 

I really love those big sheath rivits and the boxwood carving.

Thanks! The boxwood was amazing to carve, it actually felt like I knew how to use a chisel there for a while :lol:

14 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Well done!  I particularly like the blade, that is some nice iron.

Thanks Alan! I was really happy with how the iron looked, I like wrought better than a lot of pattern welds.

9 hours ago, Sam Ecroyd said:

Really love the iron, nice work

Glad you liked it! :D

7 hours ago, Kris Lipinski said:

Nice! Another great historical knife :)  I love it.

Thank you! I had a lot of fun looking through different artifacts for inspiration. 

3 hours ago, Chris C-S said:

Kudos Collin, great looking pieces.

Thanks man!

3 hours ago, Kevin (The Professor) said:

that is inspirational. I think the blade and also the sheath really elevate that one. Great job!

Thanks Kevin! I'm glad I went with the simple geometric tooling on the sheath. My first time carving leather and if I went too complex I would probably screw it up.

Excellent work sir!  The blade is lovely, the handle carving is well done, and the sheath is impressive, especially for a first.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GEzell said:

Excellent work sir!  The blade is lovely, the handle carving is well done, and the sheath is impressive, especially for a first.

Thanks George! I'll admit I looked at some of your sheaths to try and mentally reverse engineer how to make one. I wrestled with that sheath in the clamps for the better part of an hour trying to get the "break" nice and crisp.

Beautiful piece there Colin. While the blade stands out on it's own, the carving on the bolster and the handle really makes the piece pop.