That is beautiful man. The whole thread has been great. Thanks for posting it.

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1

Man, that is great, just excellent work!  Cheers to you!

• Like 1

That's a whole new level, well done!

Great work on the rapier, and a very educational WIP.  Thank you for both.  87 hours?  I couldn't have made the basket alone that fast...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

That's a whole new level, well done!

Thank you Alan, and thank you for your advice on this project, I greatly appreciate it. :)

22 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Great work on the rapier, and a very educational WIP.  Thank you for both.  87 hours?  I couldn't have made the basket alone that fast...

Oh yeah, the education I received from this project was well worth the time.  Mind you, all of the hammering was done with my three pound hammer.

@R.W. Deavers This was wonderful to follow. I found myself wanting to log on and see if there was something new. It has turned out beautifully, congratulations and well done!!! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chris C-S said:

@R.W. Deavers This was wonderful to follow. I found myself wanting to log on and see if there was something new. It has turned out beautifully, congratulations and well done!!! 

Thank you Chris.

• Like 1

Seeing as how I can't remember if I started a thread on the second rapier project or not, here's the finished piece.  The blade was forged from leaf spring, and that is where the similarities end.  While mine had the basket made from forged out railroad spikes, the other rapier's basket was made from stainless steel hex bar (5/16").  This was a collaborative project as I shaped and fitted the pieces for the basket and a very good friend of mine did all of the welding and finishing including the stone work (the smaller stones are amber and I can't remember what the heart stone is).  Sandwiched between the two copper spacers is spalted tamarind coated with tung oil.  The pommel was a larger piece of stainless hex bar (1 1/4") with a stainless pommel nut.  These are the only two rapiers that will ever come out of my shop, EVER.   

PA120014.JPG

PA120013.JPG

14 hours ago, R.W. Deavers said:

These are the only two rapiers that will ever come out of my shop, EVER.

I like them but assume they must have been a PITA to make?

5 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

I like them but assume they must have been a PITA to make?

The heat treat process was the hardest, at least for me.