I made a camp chopper to test out the reliability of the wedged tenon design when subject to shock. It is edge quenched 5160 with mild steel fittings and a walnut handle that has a textured area. This textured area is dried and powdered purple Japanese maple leaf, lacquered in multiple layers, then the masking tape is taken off to reveal the wood areas. It is very fast in hand, the weight of the pommel balances it well so it doesn't feel sluggish and forward-heavy.

Wuu1Dou.jpg?2

FmPiZKR.jpg?1

vfkhIp2.jpg?1

• Like 2

You have me wanting to try this construction method, it has a certain elegance to it.  The knife itself is awesome, I particularly like the blade shape and relation to the handle.

2 hours ago, GEzell said:

You have me wanting to try this construction method, it has a certain elegance to it.  The knife itself is awesome, I particularly like the blade shape and relation to the handle.

Thanks! I would love to see someone else try it, it's such a simple design, Dave Friesen got me hooked on the whole take-apart idea. I'm sure that a knife with this construction could be finely finished, the only problem is that when taking it apart/ putting it together, you are getting a hammer near the end of the handle. Even if you use a brass/copper hammer, I think that it could still mar a highly polished pommel fitting. Perhaps a leather-lined vise could safely press the pin in without damaging the fittings.

1 hour ago, Phil Ullrich said:

Very nice, looks effective.  What are the dimensions

11.5" edge, 16.25" total length from tip to the end of the tang.

• Like 1

Hey Wes, already commented on your video thread, but this is a mint looking knife so thought i would say it here also. Keep at it dude. Good work.